Home Chat General Chat

Pre race advice sought.

I'm competing in my first sprint tri this saturday and not sure what sort of preparation i should be doing from now on in. I mean training and nutrition wise, i have a checklist for my gear ready to go, bike has been checked over etc etc. Its just i have no experience of competing in tris and could do with any advice anyone can give, especially on the nutrition side. Should i increase carbs next few days? take in extra cals? Train a little or a lot? Thanks, Kevin.

Comments

• TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    I believe car loading is a science, and unless you get it right, it doesn't work, so I wouldn't get too hung up on it. A Sprint, although hard work at the time, is only between 1:15 and 2:00 hours, and the theory goes that we've generally got a store of 1500-2000 calories within us, which is more than enough to complete the Sprint.

Best advice is to be well hydrated over the two days before. Make sure you eat well, but don;t get too bogged down in carb loading. Don't try to eat anything new or that affects you before the event, and probably try to reduce your fibre intake in the last 24 hours.

Reduce your training, but don;t stop, just keep the muscles working, and try to ease any soreness.

Bust more importantly, enjoy it, and report back on the weekend when you can call yourself a Triathlete.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    by TRIumphant » 05 Aug 2009 11:44

I believe car loading is a science,
    Yes car loading is a science. I always wonder why I can never load my car properly with all my tri stuff.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Doh! Too much gear,no idea. The most disorganised person in an organised sport.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    For a sprint (only an hour or two) you don't have to worry too much about things like carb loading.

Work out what time you have to set off - allow yourself plenty of time for unforeseen incidents.
    If it means that you have to get up at the crack of dawn practice getting up and that time and eating your breakfast. Go to bed early enough to make sure that you are getting plenty of sleep.

Hmm.. Wednesday.. anything hard from now on will just wear you out and the training benefit won't come until you've fully recovered which won't be til after the event. If you want to do something intensive (that gets the heart rate up), keep it short.

I find a recovery/easy run or bike is a great time to do visualisation - think about your race etc. if you can look at the course before hand, then that is a great thing todo. otherwise study the route on the map. Think about your race place etc.

Avoid alchohol, eat well and healthy. Make sure you have a good breakfast on race day. Don't try anything too different - something you like that is reasonably bland (i.e. don't go out for a great steaming vindaloo at that new curry place on Saturday night). Try to sleep.

Before a race of around an hour I typically have Porridge at -3 hours. A banana or two at -2 hours. Keep drinking (water) steadily. At -1 hours a carb bar (might also have a caffeine thing before hand). I check the colour of my wee to make sure I am nicely hydrated. Then stop drinking about 45 mins before so that I don't have a full bladder during the race.

I.e. nothing too technical!

You will forget something. Something won't work. so don't get too frustrated if that happens

Good luck and have fun.
  • kevmckevmc Posts: 2
    Thanks for the replies. I come from a bodybuilding background so am aware of the pros and cons of carb loading but i wasnt really advocating using that method. My on thoughts pre race nutrition were pretty much confirmed by all which is basically dont change anything and continue eating healthily as i have being doing. Training wise i was unsure but going by whats said i'll have a 30 min total brick session tomorrow evening and take friday off. Will post about my times and experience of my first tri after race. Thanks again.