Home Chat General Chat

South Coast Sprint Tri Advice

Hello everyone

well its nearly time for my first ever triathlon! getting a little nervous now. its the sprint distance south coast tri, really looking forward to it and have really enjoyed the sport so far.

swimming is really my strongest part being a club swimmer, cycling is good thanks to a 20 mile commute each day and lots of fun cycling around the lanes

running is my weakest, im really pretty bad! my technique seems shocking and although i think im learning i alawys seem so heavy on my feet! but hey its only 5k so i cant go to wrong.

my training is going well, training 6 days, mainly trying to get 2 sports in a day for about 1.5-2.5 hours

bit of advice needed though, i dont have a wetsuit, we have been down and swam in the see without one and it was chilly!!!! its a 750 meter swim, do i need one? if not what should i wear, all i have is my cancer research vest and (my pride and joy) 2XU tri shorts,

any advice is more than welcome!

Comments

• TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    What are the race rules. Sometimes a wetsuit is compulsary. Other times it's your choice depending on the distance, but compulsary for other distances.
  • Hi there,

I'm also doing Seaford.

As for the swim - I'm pretty hardy as I'm blessed with living close to the sea (Brighton) and swam 1.5km yesterday in just a costume without getting too cold. The English Channel tends to be around 20-25c at this time of year.

Pros for doing it without a wetsuit (and for those who don't know - the South Coast Tri is only wetsuit complusory for the OD):
    *No changing in and out of a suit = quicker transition
    *No 'I'm choking' sensation if you are prone (like me) to racing-related panic attacks
    *Greater flexibility

Cons:
    *The cold, if you are not acclimatised.
    *Wetsuits provide buoyancy and that might make you quicker and/or less tired

Clothing - wear the shorts in the water (under a suit if you decide to beg, borrow, steal or hire one) and bung the shirt on in transition.

See you there!

blurredgirl
  • mumu Posts: 24
    Hi Guys,
    This isn't really a training answer, but when I did the South Coast Triathlon a couple of years ago there was an issue with cars parked on the bike course. This caused a big accident as the bikes started to group on the shortish multi-lap route.
    The organisers have probably sorted out this problem (as I say it was a while ago), but witnessing a bike and rider flying into the air after hitting a car is one of my over-riding memories from that race.
    Just thought I'd post a heads-up, incase the organisers haven't sorted it.
  • It was fine last year - lovely clear, well-marshalled. course. But with very sharp turns. The marshals are extremely good at (cheerfully and with very good humour) warning you to slow down.

blurredgirl