Home Chat General Chat

Race Wheels

I am quite new to this tri lark but have decided to treat myself to some race wheels. I heard it is best to keep a set just for racing and seperate set for training.
My question is -
Is it worth getting some aero wheels with a slightly deeper wheel rim (say 50 or 60mm) on a normal set up road bike or am I better just going for something lightweight? I have a Giant Defy 2 so wasn't sure if the aero advantage is worth the extra weight?

Comments

• TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    Quick answer - yes.

For TTs and triathlon the ultimate aim is as aero as possible, weight doesn't matter as much - unless it's a hilly course. Having said that rotational weight is the biggest impact, so a heavier wheel will be that bit slower to get up to speed - but then once there will potentially give a flywheel effect, which helps maintain speed.

If you get good wheels, you can always keep them and upgrade the rest of the bike later.
  • BootooBootoo Posts: 29
    So if I am going to get some aero wheels I really need to think about investing in some tri bars first? My only concern is the fairly tall head tube on my bike and not being able to get into a decent aero position.
    Are the wheels a waste of time without the tri bars?
    I was thinking of the Easton EA90 or something similar for the wheels set but will be visiting the lbs.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Bootoo wrote:
    So if I am going to get some aero wheels I really need to think about investing in some tri bars first? My only concern is the fairly tall head tube on my bike and not being able to get into a decent aero position.
    Are the wheels a waste of time without the tri bars?
    I was thinking of the Easton EA90 or something similar for the wheels set but will be visiting the lbs.
    I've been thinking the same - my aim is the most versatile setup I can find, the EA90 SLX wheels look like they will be a good all rounder for me, a straight seatpost with no layback to counter the road bike geometry and some aero bars.

There was a good article about the best aero position - I think it was on the basis that when down on the aeros with your knee at 90 degrees between your thigh and calf, your hip should also be at 90 degrees between your back and thigh, then your upper arm should be at 90 degrees to your back. I can't find the article again to be certain this is correct though...

Now just got to find some money...
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    I would recommend you do plenty of research on the tinternet .

Have a look at what Easton has to offer .

Have Fun looking ...
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    As Conehead says, big problem with 'Tri'ing' up a road bike is that you alter your centre of gravity, your body geometry etc and can quite easily reduce power output to such a level that it negates the aero advantage and gives you a bad back to boot!

Have a look at this to start:
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... kefit.html
    This
    http://www.tri-ecoach.com/art20.htm
    And this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK0PDGSQ ... re=related

But a getting your bike set up properly by a professional who knows what they are doing will be the best option - I open up to the forum suggestions on that point.