Home Chat General Chat

cycle washout lastnight !

Hi all,

Went for a cycle after work lastnight, saw it had started to rain in London but thought I had missed the worst of it but about 18:00, planned to do 12laps of regents park - about 60k ish.
Lap 1 saw a little drizzle, but by lap 2 the great deluge was in full effect !!

i lasted till lap 9 but was truly beaten by then, drenched through many times over, all energy zapped ... the road was really flooded and i was having to go out to the middle to get round the rivers, visibility was poor, it was getting dark and all-in-all a bit too dangerous with the over-zealous taxi's making impromptu u-turns looking to pick up the stranded sheltering under trees.

enjoyed it though, i was telling myself it's just like another flash storm in Kona .. gotta pull through

Question; when you're bike gets absolutely drenched .. should you dry certain parts off like the chain .. i left it in a dry cycle shed but didn't do anything else. Will inspect it at lunchtime.

Comments

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Something like Muc-Off Bike Spray is good for removing the water and providing a bit of protection for the drive chain. Once it has dried, if you can, degrease and clean the drivetrain (chain, cassette, and chainrings) then rinse off and apply some lube.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    about 2miles from work on my way home and i picked up a pnucture (first for a looong time). i had a short walk to the nearest car park so i had some space to sort it out and just as i started work it started to rain.

within 10mins it was thumping it down and by the time i had changed tubes and reinflated it was properly heaving it down. 10miles home and i was about as wet as i could possibly be when not doing an event. grim.
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    I saw what was coming and swapped my bike ride for a hill intervals session on the bike at the gym followed by a run.....I feel like a bad triathlete