Home Chat General Chat

2 Ironman events in 2010?

So I’m going to do IMUK or IMCH in August next year.. I have a thought process that works something like this..

Training for IM is going to intense..

Is it a waste to get to IM fitness level only to complete one IM?

Therefore shouldn’t I enter 2 IM next year to maximise the benefits of 10 months of training..

1. Is my above theory logical?
2. How long does it take to recover from an IM?
3. What is an ideal time to have between IM races?

Interested in peoples thoughts...

Scotty

Comments

• I'm thinking along similar lines. Did Wimbleball (70.3) this year, then the Forestman (Full Iron distance) a month later. I'm thinking of doing the Forestman again next year (I was slaughtered by the run - I'm getting my own back next time!) which is in mid-June, and then maybe the Nottingham IM in early August. Ideally I'd like to do a 70.3 instead of the Forestman, but I really have unfinished business with that run course!

Before this year I'd never gone further than OD. I'm interested to hear more experienced people's opinions.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Nutters, the pair of you.
  • maltesermalteser Posts: 25
    the thought of doing one gives me the creeps let alone two in one season within such a short time frame ... i'm getting leg cramps just thinking about it!!!!
  • froggerfrogger Posts: 24
    i challenged myself to do a tri each weekend for the month of june this year.
    i felt spent by the end of all of them.

never gone beyond an OD but i could have done with much more rest and more training time between each. thou somehow my times went down on each

make sure you rest well between them is my advice.
  • I really have unfinished business with that run course!
    liking the attitude ..
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Scott I am planning on doing 2 IMs next year, one in April and another in August (and who knows, maybe a certain one in October as well! )

They say it usually takes around 8 weeks to fully recover from an IM, though as ever this will vary from person to person. As long as you are sensible in your recover and don't try doing too much too soon, there is no reason why you can't build up into another one without the usual base, build, peak periodisation
  • My thoughts werer based on the idea that I get to race fitness, then recover and a little of peaking and I'm ready again..

However.. a lot of people have told me this is a bad idea.....

so I will proabbly plan to do it then.. or perhaps scale the idea down to just a half IM instead.

my biggest concern is I crash after the IM, therefore I thought i might put off binging in celebration until after summer...
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    I did a HIM 6 weeks before IMUK and thought it was excellent preparation. Good for building confidence and a bit of a reality check for what it was going to take ot get me over the line.

Why not go for a HIM/70.3 and the IM a couple of monhts later. Finishing either/both is still an awesome achievement.
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    This guy has done 4 so far, with Kona left to do!

http://www.tri247.com/article_5655.html
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    This thread, has got me thinking now. My initial thoughts were:
    - April 2010 London Marathon
    - June 2010 HIMUK
    - August 2010 IMUK
    plus all other 'lesser' events I'll do.

But not too sure now.

Probably plan my training on doing all of the above, which would seem to be against the general adcie, but I feel that at this moment in time I need several targets to keep my focus, and review all nearer the time.