Home Chat General Chat

Time Trials..

have kept well clear of the pointed head mob...but now considering doing time trials to push the bike skills......whats the story?..do you have to be in a club?, are there open sessions etc..?

Comments

• DanteDante Posts: 22
    Hello there,

I did my first one a couple of weeks back.

Basically there are a load of designated TT couses dotted around the UK and local clubs take turns rotating around them. For example in my area there are 2 clubs nearby, one TT'd at the Aldermaston course a fortnight ago, and one is TT'ing there this week.

You'll have to check a club website to see if that particular night is designated as 'Come And Try It' (open session).

I've found that some clubs are really clique-y and others are really friendly so you're best off trying a couple of events / rides before looking to join.

Dante
  • apana790apana790 Posts: 76
    Most clubs orginize weekly time trials that are open to anyone and usualy have a small fee. To find a local club you could go on the british cycling website http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... finder.asp. Once on the club website, they usually have diary page where all the events are listed etc.

Last year I did a few open 10 mile TT's before joining the club. Some clubs also orginize TT's of various distances and sometimes even hill climbs so there is a lot to choose from. Cycling clubs are more than happy to have new members so don't be affraid to go to the different club events even if you're not a member yet although joining a club would be a great idea as it will give your training a whole new dimension and there will be many experienced cyclists to offer you advice.
  • doogledoogle Posts: 58
    In order to compete in Time trials you will need to be a member of a club that is affiliated to the CTT (cycling time trials) most events are run under their rules not British cyclings.

you will tend to find two main types of events: Club events, which are small scale local races, mainly on an evening with a small entry fee - 50p to £2. or open events which you will need to enter in advance and usually cost around £8 - £10.

try www.ctt.org.uk to find more details.

many Tri clubs are now affiliated to allow members to ride time trials

hope this helps
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    CTT only cover England and Wales - any idea who covers Scotland?
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Tesseract wrote:
    Ask Gordon Brown,he couldn't give a stuff about people South of the Border.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Tesseract wrote:
    Try the Scottish Cyclists' Union http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/SCU/scuhome/sc_home.asp.

The East of Scotland Cycling Association has provenance over TTs in that area http://esca.uk.com/.

I suspect there may be other regional organisations...
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    >In order to compete in Time trials you will need to be a member of a club that is affiliated to the CTT

IF you're a member of the BCTTT then you are so affiliated....

You know it makes sense.

didds
  • The BCTTT has it all sewn up rather nicely.

Tri club, coaching, free stuff, massive discounts on kit and other stuff, personalised club kit, swanky membership card, TT section .... need I go on ?
  • John DJohn D Posts: 11
    Lots of good info about TT and where to find them. All I would add is that doing a TT once week, particularly in the summer months is one of the most effective ways of improving your bike split time on the triathlon - definately recommended
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    I did my first TT yeasterday in richmond park. It was a real buzz to go hell for leather without all deer-watchers driving like ijjits. Well organised and good fun. Only 7min off Michael Hutchinson's time! If doing that every few weeks doesnt improve your cycling, I dont know what will.
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Bman,

Who organized the Richmond TT? I think it'd be a great way to get used to actually racing my bike rather than just riding it. Was it pretty open for new people and did you have to join a club to do it? Sounds painful and fun as hell.
  • http://www.ctt.org.uk/Home/tabid/36/ite ... fault.aspx

I really wanted to do the latter one but not sure if I'll be able.

Looks like awesome fun and a good thing to support so that they run more of them next year
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Danny,its run by London dynamo and as test runs, are open for novices, so no club affiliation needed for the next one on the 23rd. Not sure about the series if they run it next year.