Home Chat General Chat

Am I being a fanny pants???

Got my first open water std dist tri end of this month, the swim is in the north sea (Gullane).

I've been open water training for a couple of months now, always with a friend in either a kayak or surf board alongside for safety.

been going well up untill tonight!!

I got beautiful night water dead calm, thought I go for a P.B.

started of great clocked just over 4 mins for first quater mile on GPS!

then disaster struck straight into a school (is that what you call a group of jellies??) Jelly fish! I shat it! squealing like a girl! my mate in the kayak laughing at me!!!

am I being a fanny??? I tried to just keep going but i hated it!!!

Comments

• TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    jellyfish are satan's semen.

I'm with you on that one, hate the damn things.
  • Trisurfer wrote:

started of great clocked just over 4 mins for first quater mile on GPS!

That is very fast!! I take it you are an ex competative swimmer!!
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    I swam through a jellyfish bloom whilst on holiday a few weeks ago, absolutely horrible. I had to stop swimming and get out of the water, took half an hour before the pain of the stings had gone. The ones on my face were the worst, so I think there is no shame in getting out the water, or screaming like a girl if there are a lot of them.
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    ha! Good to hear I'm not the only one who dislikes it!

it was the see through blue ones, i didn't get stung but they were all over me and I could see them coming under water! hated it!!

then the paranoia set in I kept thinking about being engulfed by the big red and orange man o war type!

I was well impressed with the first quater mile. it was on my GPS and i'm a little dubious how accurate it is.
    in a pool I'm usually around the 11 min mark 750m and double for 1500m. So I think there is something not quite right!
    Didn't stop me claiming it though!!!!
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    I was swimming in Vancouver last year when a seal popped up beside me. I'd never heard of a swimmer being eaten by a seal before but I was worried that as I was wearing a rubber wetsuit I might have been mistaken for a potential mate. I reckon I definitely did a 400m swim split PB pegging it back to shore!
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Quality,

I'm always concerned the seals mistake my toes for little fish! you ever seen what they do too a salmon?!

I don't mind jellies or seals so much when I'm surfing though! amazing how much security I get from my beloved stick!!

Need to shake off to-nights escapades and double check the 0.25 mile split next week!
  • .....think I'll stick to swimming pools!
  • thebouythebouy Posts: 61
    Can they sting through your wetsuit?
  • britribritri Posts: 6
    im heading for Gullane, also a first time - never new about the jellyfish, just shat it sitting on sofa!
    going to have a look tomorrow to see what its like...

britri