Home Chat General Chat

Bike reflectors

does a bike have to have reflectors on it to be considered road legal?? i mean if i turn up without them will it be un usable??

i just got a new bike and although it has them i cant work out how to put em on and in fact i don't want em on

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    by law you are supposed to have pedal reflectors and a red reflector on after dusk.

this law was written in the 1980s when lights were very different to how they are today, and in practice if you have good lights and reflective clothing on then i doubt the law will be fussed.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    For day time use, no.

For night time use must have red rear and white front light, red rear refelector, and orange pedal refelctors, if manufactured after 01/10/1985. White fornt reflector as advisable only.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_069837
  • clv101clv101 Posts: 45
    orange pedal refelctors
    Hmmm...

[img:345zevkw]http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploadimg/767/350__1_shimano-dura-ace-pedals-med.jpg[/img:345zevkw]
    my entry-level spd-sl pedals (r540 ?) came with orange reflectors which can be fitted.

i didn't. and i wouldn't fit them to dura ace sl's either!
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    I've got SL's myself...they came with the bike and it came with those pedals...how the hell can i fit them??

what i'm asking is not if the law allows it etc...but if i turn up for a race will they knock me back with NO reflectors on at all.....
    if your race is during daylight then reflector laws don't apply i think...
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    That's how I read it, reflectors and lights are for night time use only. It should incentivise you to get to T2 befor it gets dark, it's a challenge sometimes.
    i've only done 4 races but no-one has ever asked to see my lights or reflectors. i've not got a bell either
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    yeah all my races will be day time, maybe IMUK next year will be different but if its dark when i get to T2 there i'll be chucked out anyway cause it'll be about 10pm..lol.....
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    To be doubly safe you should have a man carrying a red flag precede you