Home Chat General Chat

barton marina OW sprint tri

I'm doing my first OW race this Sunday as subject .

Can anyone help me with details of the course ?

What is the lake like ?

Is the bike course Hilly , fast etc. ?

Thanks

Comments

• iadamaiadama Posts: 60
    There's plenty of details up at http://www.chaserace.co.uk/default.asp?page=8. The bike course is at http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2478171 (turn elevation on to see the hills). I'm doing it as well and swam the lake last night, followed by riding the course to see what it was like. The lake's ok, pretty clean in my limited experience (Bosworth & Victoria docks), but still not something I'm looking forward to!

I loved the bike route though; fast and hilly. Couple of things to watch out for - there's traffic calming as you come into Barton (from both directions), and the traffic coming out has priority so you have to stop. Also, there's a fairly steep hill coming out of Yoxall - great fun going down it, not so much fun coming back up on the return!
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    thanks Iadama ,

I was trying to get to Bosworth tonight ,but road works & torrential rain put paid to that !!!

Going to the leisure centre instead now .

May see you Sunday ?
    Yup, I'll be there - I'll be the pre-swim nervous looking bloke in a blue Orca S2 wetsuit.

There's a swimming session at Barton between 9 and 11 on Saturday morning if you can get there for a pre-race recce. Especially worth doing if you've not been in open water before. As a bonus it's free if it's your first time as well!
    iadama wrote:
    Yup, I'll be there - I'll be the pre-swim nervous looking bloke in a blue Orca S2 wetsuit.

There's a swimming session at Barton between 9 and 11 on Saturday morning if you can get there for a pre-race recce. Especially worth doing if you've not been in open water before. As a bonus it's free if it's your first time as well!
    I dont know if I can get there tomorrow ,but I will look our for the Blue Orca.

Good luck
    Thanks - and the same to you! I should be in the rookie wave, I believe the details of the waves will be up on the chaserace website tomorrow.
    Conehead wrote:
    I'll be there from 6am - working the transition and generaly lording it around like I own the place.

Probably with a can of Red Bull in my hand.

Happy to dish out info, tips, coaching advice etc etc. Just to confuse you before the race...
    Will look out for you Lord Conehead !!!!!

• I'll be there also - in my 220 tri t shirt... but please don't expect any advice that will be of use.. apart from cheering you all on.

I'll be blagging a red bull from the Conehead though.

just not looking forward to getting up at 3am to get there on time!!!!
  • i'll be there too! Helping willieverfinish blag Red Bull of the Cone....

....not sure about the time thou!

Whens the whole thing kick off and likely to finish?
  • Yea... times please ?

I don't want to get there at silly O clock after a big drive and be billy no mates ?

Race times anyone ? ?
    Just got back from this - absolutely awesome day, really really enjoyed it and came away beaming like a cheshire cat as cracked 1h30 (ok, so the bike course was a bit short, but I was eleven minutes quicker than London last week).

Huge thanks to all the organisers, marshalls etc for making it such a great day, and the british summer also made an appearance.

Bullet - wanted to catch up with you after the race to see how you'd done, but having only quickly spoken to you after meeting just before the swim start I wasn't sure what you looked like without a wetsuit, swim cap and not submerged in water!

6 weeks to my next one, not sure I can wait that long, will have to have a look to see what's coming up can't get over how much better I felt today than in previous races, mostly due to the nutrition tips I've picked up off this forum so thanks to all who unknowingly helped me shape my pre race food and drink plans.

Also had a mate with me doing his first and he loved it and is ready to sign up for more now. I'll be sure to point him in the direction of triathlon world domination
  • So what's next iadama?

Which one are you doing in 6 weeks?
    Well done Iadama ,
    I did pretty well myself ,although I was a bit disapointed with my swim 17m 30 sec

Finish time 1.26.56 ,think I could knock another 2-3 mins off the swim .

As ever my run let me down big time ,need to spend a lot of time on this !!!!

My next race is Derby tri 13th September .

Thanks to all the organisers and marshalls .

Gary - Tatton Sprint, September 19th is my next one, unless I can find an earlier one that fits in with the GAT officer! After that I'm planning to do the Warwickshire Sprint in Stratford at the start of October. I can see a morning of browsing the events on Tri247.com coming up, rather than doing any work!

Bullet - that's a great time! I also think I can shave some more off the swim - I knocked 4 minutes off my swim time from London last week, although a lot of that will be down to the massively reduced wave size! But I still need to work on maintaining my rhythm. Practice practice practice...

Was it you that spoke to me just after I crossed the line? Someone told me they'd just done 1h26, but I was too busy trying to not collapse to recognise who it was Well done anyway, and good luck for Derby. Might even see you there as it's fairly local... but it would leave only 6 days between that and Tatton so I'm not sure yet.
    Iadama ,

Yeah that was me that spoke after you crossed the line ,with a big smile on your face .