Home Chat General Chat

Pilates

Does anyone go to a pilates class ?

I've been told that its good for your Core muscle strength ,which in turn makes swimming more effecient .

Any views would be appreciated .

Cheers

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Pilates sorted out my back problem, it also increased my hip flexibility which I believe led to an increase in running performance. Do it!
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    if you're windsor way, i think a friend of mine runs pilates for triathletes (i'll have to check though if she still does it!). Heres the website if you do: http://www.beetoned.co.uk/
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Yes yes yes - you must do Pilates. Sorted my back out, sorted out pain from my left shoulder - for a good year or so I was rubbing all sorts of gels into my left shoulder for the pain (arthritic) and within a few weeks sorted out my posture - pain gone.

Flexilibilty has increased massively, abs are still a bugger to do, but not like they used to be - underneath my little roll of lard I reckon I have got a decent set of abs - still can't shift it but working hard at it.

Oh and yes - do Pilates
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    Pilates is wonderful - if you can you should do it! Great for core stability which helps with the bike as well as the swim and indeed the run. Also good for all over strength - building lean muscle without bulk which has to be the golden grail for triathletes. And any increase in flexibility will help to keep you injury free and help performance.

Make sure you get decent tuition though - I'm guessing you'll have plenty of choice if you're near London, up here things are so great I really miss my pilates studio classes
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I do pilates stretches every morning to get my back working again. Friday's my girlfriend and I go to a studio class which is wonderful because its the one time of the week we can do some exercise together, and its really enjoyable. For the first few weeks I didn't get it, really just didn't. Then I realized that it was all about how much you put into the exercises and the same motion can be a snooze or a real ball buster. Then it was great!
  • jasejase Posts: 47
    As everyone has said above Pilates is excellent.
    Have been going to a class every week for the past 4 years as I had a lower back problem.The difference its made to my life is amazing and I wouldn't be doing Triathlon without it.
  • clv101clv101 Posts: 45
    I started taking a pilates class a couple of months ago. Great stuff, signing up for another class starting in a few weeks.
  • Hot chicks go to pilates. do it man.
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Hot chicks go to pilates. do it man.
    Not mine... I get 20 middle aged women + me and my girlfriend. I need to find a new class methinks
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Don't let your girlfriend read this post, it'll be run training next trying to get away from her.
  • hey as a pilates instructor its really cool to see all the positve results for pilates (execpt for those lasr few comments ) best thing you can do is check for certified instuctors near you i'm qualified with STOTT pilates where you can do an online search for instructors in your area.
  • dont chicks like being called hot?