Home Chat General Chat

Escape from alcatraz?

This event was in this months 220, looks quality!
(While one the subject anyone else noticed that on page 12 Ibiza has moved to the canaries?)
Anyone done this event? or qualified for it??

It says on the web site one of the races to qualify is the London masda tri.

Anyone know what sort of times are needed in order to qualify?

This race looks quality but 2nd only to kona in terms of difficulty to get a place!

Comments

• I've been to California and I've been on Alcatraz - 'd love to do that race one day.

Love too.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Hmm - looks like a great place for an event! Not the cheapest one to get to but a cool backdrop
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    i'm not sure, but you've gotta be damn good to qualify - i think they have a web-site which may help a bit more!
  • See that pisses me off a little bit.

Why do alot of the events we hear about have "qualifying" restrictions.

I'm never going to be good enough to qualify but would love to race Alcatraz..... gutted.
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    I'm in the same boat! highly unlikely, just wondering if anyone knew a ball park time to qualify, I can aim towards!
    Prob just aim for 2hrs!!!
    I had a quick look at the web site but didn't really give much away time wise or how many people from each event will qualify.

looks a good race for sure.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    looks like they have a registration and lottery too, but not a lot of detail. i'd love to do something like that but can't see it being anytime soon.
  • Friend of mine got in through the lottery said it was fab
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    I seem to remember that to qualify at London you need to be top of your Age Group.
    Quote: The top amateur men and women in the following events qualified for the 2009 Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon.
    So sub 2hrs for the OD I think!
    I've got 3 years in the 35-39 cat left
    Alcatraz is my MUST DO race. I lived in SF for a while and haven't been back in over a decade - would like to do it this way!