Home Chat General Chat

Cassette Ratio

md6md6 Posts: 969
I'm looking at buying a new cassette as after buying a new set of wheels the rear was salvagable and i will use it as a turbo wheel. I now just need to get myself a new cassette - but then when looking online i saw several different ratios...WTF???? What I am wondering about is what ratio should i go with? Should I go with the same as now or something more 'aggressive' (if that's the right term)?

Oh, and how do i know what ratio I have at the moment?

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    you should be able to read the size of the cogs (it is marked on the side of the cog), or count the teeth! if you are happy with what you have then get the same one again, if you think you want a bit more speed then get a cassette with a smaller last cog (11 teeth if you have 12, for example).

bear in mind that if you were on an 11-28 before and move to 11-25 then you might find you need to drop to the inner chainrings more often when climbing hills.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    cheers Ris, I'll take a look and will keep the differences in mind
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    It depends a lot on what you've got up front, whether its standard or compact cranks.

Compact would pair well with something like an 11 or 12 - 25. You probably wouldn't use more than that unless you're doing extreme mountain climbing.

Standard you have more flexibility... if you like to spin a lot you might find a 12-27 or 12-28 comfortable. If you like the lower cadence even going uphill then you can keep the 11-25. That is what I have set up, although if I'd gone and watched the TdF with some mates and the massive climbs, then I'd be on a 12-27.

This decision will not really ruin you unless you're regularly spinning out in your 50x12 when you'd probably be better on standard cranks.