Home Chat General Chat

recommend me a tyre

found this morning when i wiped out at Blithfield I ripped the tyre wall on the Bontrager Race Lite tyre that came as fitted with the Trek.

Slapped a michellin erillium on that I had lieing around (!) and was good enough to get me out of the door, but although the bontrager is a standard all weather tyre, the extra rolling resistance of the michelin was palpable.

So - I can get another bontrager for around £18 - or can anyone suggest another suitable tyre to run? I don't need super dooper lighweight racing tyres , just something that will do the job without flap and needing to change tyres between racing and training and with some decent puncture resistance!

cheers

didds

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I use michelin pro lights. They are excellent.
    However, I would recommend the pro race 3s, they have slightly more puncture resistance and are an excellent tyre. Very low rolling resistance.
    I think JE james may have them on sale for about £25 each, they are worth it!
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I use the Race X Lites for just about everything. Its a relatively fast tire, and never given me any problems.

The Pro Race3 is pricier, but those or Conti GP4000s (the s is important) are a really fast tire. When I start having race tires separate from my training ones, I'll go for one of those.
  • Conti GP 4000's are pretty good.

I use Specalized Pro's and I love them.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    i use the bonty race lite on my hybrid as a summer tyre - thinking about it they're probably better than the scwalb lugano on my race bike... although i odn't know tbh due to the differences in the bikes i can't really compare. But the race lites are very good tires IMO, with good puncture protection too.
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Ok, so after a quick search, it turns out that it depends on what type of rim you're putting the tire on as to what's faster. The fastest concievable tire is a Bontrager, apparently:

http://reviews.roadbikereview.com/blog/say-hello-to-the-worlds-fastest-tire/

Although the ones they chart against their on are all excellent. The GP4000s have a really low rolling resistance, along with the Veloflex. The Zipp and the Schwalbe are a bit higher but probably adding up to less than 10s over a 40k TT.
  • I commuted from Surrey to London on GP4000's for 6 months and never had a puncture.

I really rate them and as you say very low rolling resistance.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    I like the easy control of the michelin pro 3, theyve also put up with some heavy hits without any complaint but im still wearing them in. so far so good and real grippy on the corner sections