Home Chat General Chat

I have worn my IM finishers t-shirt.....

a) everyday, in fact it has never left my body
b) when I think I might see people I know
c) to the pub to see if I can pull
d) I'm saving it for best like sister's wedding, job interview etc.
e) never - it's in a hermetically sealed display case

What would you do?

Ade

Comments

• danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Ok, I only did the half, but have to go for the never option. The only race t-shirts I will wear are for obscure or small races that most people won't recognize unless you're into the sport as well.

The guys I see in the gym with IM on their visor, shorts, socks, water bottles and sweat bands make it a bad enough stereotype that I don't want to get confused for that type of athlete. So NEVER wear a shirt from a race that the general public is aware of.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Conehead wrote:
    I just have a huge M Dot tattoo on my ankle
    If I manage (sorry when I manage) to complete IMCH next year, I'm getting a big M dot tattooed on my frickin forehead!
  • i only wear /wore my finishers top from the moment they give it to me until the following day. obviously taking it off to shower but i sleep in it, eat in eat, travel in it. but once i'm home it comes off, goes in the wash and then in my box for all my race mementos like swim caps and such stuff. never ever wear it again. if it was a normal training top i might wear it more, but cos it's got a collar i wont train in it, it's made from taining top material stuff so i cant wear it when it's too cool, but when it's warm enough to wear it's blimming weill black so i end up sweating like crazy. same problem with last years top!
  • I wear my OD T shirt to the gym, if i had an IM T shirt you better believe all the hotties would be seeing it.
  • danny_s wrote:
    The only race t-shirts I will wear are for obscure or small races that most people won't recognize unless you're into the sport as well.

The guys I see in the gym with IM on their visor, shorts, socks, water bottles and sweat bands make it a bad enough stereotype that I don't want to get confused for that type of athlete. So NEVER wear a shirt from a race that the general public is aware of.
    This is a very strange point of view, I cant really understand why you would think like this. So what if people want to wear IM brand gear. What stereotype are you not conforming to?

Whoopee do you wear T-shirts from smaller races, what point does that prove exactly??

Come back when you've done the full distance..............
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Flavadave wrote:
    [quote="Conehead":2u469xq2]I just have a huge M Dot tattoo on my ankle
    If I manage (sorry when I manage) to complete IMCH next year, I'm getting a big M dot tattooed on my frickin forehead![/quote:2u469xq2]

How your words will haunt you.
    This is a very strange point of view, I cant really understand why you would think like this. So what if people want to wear IM brand gear. What stereotype are you not conforming to?

Whoopee do you wear T-shirts from smaller races, what point does that prove exactly??

Come back when you've done the full distance..............
    Why so strange? I think its rediculous to look like a billboard, screaming about what you've accomplished. I've got nothing but the utmost respect for the athletes doing IMs, honest. But getting all the gear so you can look like you're the epitome of human athletic achievement is pretty lame. I respect the tattoo, aside from the forehead option (sorry Dave!).

The shirts I've gotten at a bunch of smaller events don't have that association for me, or probably anyone else. I like to run, ride my bike, and go to the pool. I don't worry too much about what other people are thinking when they see me. Just my opinion.
  • is that a thumb print on your forehead danny? missus not like you showing off?
  • danny_s wrote:

I think its rediculous to look like a billboard, screaming about what you've accomplished.

I respect the tattoo

So in essence what your saying is, "I respect someone for permanantly marking themselves with a companys logo but I dont respect them for wearing there t-shirts"

How odd...........

So in essence what your saying is, "I respect someone for permanantly marking themselves with a companys logo but I dont respect them for wearing there t-shirts"

How odd...........
    I think the difference is in the degrees. One hand, subtle but permanent. The other, not so much.
  • I've worn my IM tee a couple of times it took me 15 hours 32 to get it, and 18 months in the planning. I want everybody in the world to know I've done an Ironman. The best tee I've had though was my Chester Tri top it's a great training top.

Dave I'm with you on the head tattoo the only thing is it will get annoying having everyone clapping you as you walk past.

Nick the very proud Ironman, who could not swim 18 months ago.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Don't forget most IM branded gear is just that, sports gear that anyone can buy. Hence people getting the tattoo done.

I wear race t-shirts myself, as it saves buying them! Some are decent training tops and I'll run in any old t-shirt.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    It is an interesting one this... I wore my windsor tri t-shirt yesterday as I was painting the skirting boards, but when I went to the shop I changed my shirt. Why did I change it? I guess I don't want people to think I'm showing off somehow... but then if I saw someone else wearing one would I be bothered? No.

Cycled in my Eton sprint top this morning coming in to work, but that's because I know the "Do Triathlon" on the back is concealed by my rucksack.

I reckon if I saw a guy/girl wearing an ironman finishers top, I wouldn't think 'What a tw#t', I'd be impressed! Unless they clearly were a tw#t of course.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    I do wear mine, but not that often, as generally I feel I've worked bloody hard to get them. If, or when I get an IM shirt, I think that you'll probably have to surgically remove it from me.

However, my London Tri medal, it's never even be round my neck, only ever held it.
  • SilverbackSilverback Posts: 131
    Interesting reading this, I can't help thinking of all the really fit people I see in Asda on Saturday-I know they're fit cos they're always wearing tracksuits, never mind that their stomachs touch their kneecaps.

As a newbie I don't own a Tri finishers T yet (do have this year's Tough Guy) but would be worried that it would either be considered some kinda retro chic from top shop or last year's fashion from sports soccer by non tri folk(what do we call them?-muggles, truggles, possibly a new thread there)
  • My brother has also changed his Facebook name to "Ironman Denny".

Wear it with pride boys and girls you're a triathlete.
  • BootooBootoo Posts: 29
    i have to say the ironman tat always impresses me. Not the tattoo but the fact someone has completed it!!
    I saw a guy at a local road race over the weekend with a tat on his ankle and was instantly impressed - but then I am easily pleased!!
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    I wear my event t-shirts. I don't have any other t-shirts. Why keep them in a drawer but not wear them? Don't do clothes shopping (unless it's 'technical'!).

Don't do tatoos though, just not my thing. Can't put them in a drawer when your done.

Ade
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I tend not to wear my event Ts as they clash with my Brioni Suits. It's simply a question of style. Otherwise, wear them with pride!
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I saw a 'In training for an ironman' tshirt once. Now, for me, that is a step to far. You're basically looking to get the credit for an achievment you havent achieved. Silly.

I wear my triathlon swimming hats - not because i want to get noticed; they are just swimming hats that i have, so why not wear them? Same with the decent running top i got from Cotswold last year. I would never wear them anywhere else though.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I tend to wear my evet tshits round the house, or to go to the gym, just because i have them and if they get damaged/dirty etc it doesn't matter and I'm sure that my IM shirt will be the same once it's been worn down to the pub and vairous other places first although I may not do - depends on how much sentimental value i attach to it by then
  • sportevesporteve Posts: 141
    personally i am light years away from an IM, just done my first sprint in london and:
    a) the first night i slept with my medal on
    b) i bought 2 tees one long sleeved for running and one short for cycling - they are proper training gear by speedo and the print is very discreet
    i also wore my mlt swim cap once, it was very funny...! it was my first session after the race and i went for a very easy relaxed swim, i had guys looking at me and then killing themselves to go really fast..!

do you people that wear your tees to train get any similar competitive reactions?

p.s regarding tats i have no ink on me as i am in great fear i might change my mind but if (or when) i do an IM i am seriously thinking of having one done - however i find the ironman logo extremely ugly (it reminds me of cheap supermarket branding ie: lidl) so i would never have that done
    anyway being a girl w dot or ironwoman is more applicable...good thing i have a couple of years ahead of me to design it..!
  • Personally I dislike branding on clothing. But the main reason I don't wear my event t-shirts outside the house is because they are ugly, shapeless and waayyyyy too big! All except for the For-Goodness-Shakes tri shirt - which is small and actually made from proper technical fibres - so I do train in that.

What I do wear all the time in the pool is my Swimtrek hat - and this is only because a)it's the best swim hat I've ever had in terms of fit and durability and b)it matches my kneessuit (I'm such a girl!). As a result I get blokes trying to match my distance (I generally swim 80 lengths straight before stopping to do drills) but best of all I get others who've done Swimtrek chatting to me about their experience - and that's just fun.

blurredgirl
  • The for goodness shakes tee was nice, but it's so short it's more like a crop top. Not a great look over a little beer belly
  • I got one of those "ironman in training" shirts, I wore it once out for a run because it felt like a fairly good running top. Went for just over an hour and it rubbed my nipples raw; never again will it see the light of day
    (I did complete the ironman eventually!!)
  • Ditto, the sleeves are a bit tight on mine so not that comfortable for running, but I like it as a bike jersey... no pockets which is a bit anoying but I like it for shorter rides!

I also like the fact it is printed with everyon's name... I'm somewhere near my right scapula.