Home Chat General Chat

Favourite sub £50 piece of kit

Can you tell that I have not nearly enough work to do since coming back from holiday?

Following on from my whinging about being short of cash - I wondered about a thread detailing people's best sub £50 buys.

This came into my head when I was preparing for a long bike ride and thought, not for the first time, how much I really like my wee Specialized saddle bag that seems to hold my tyre levers, my spare tube, micro-tool, micro pump, tissues, money, Montane jacket, two of the cats and Johnny Depp for emergencies.

For £15 it's the dog's bits and I'd be lost without it. What inexpensive bit of kit has been making you happy?

blurredgirl

Comments

• clv101clv101 Posts: 45
    That would have to be my Aqua Sphere Vista Goggles. Love them for open water.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Does bodyglide count? Pain free running for six quid!
  • SilverbackSilverback Posts: 131
    Second shout for aqua sphere goggles, thou mine are kayennes
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    My SportCount Chrono 100 is about the only thing apart from lock laces that cost under £50. I do quite like it though.

Things like spare inner tubes don't really count. My compression socks probably don't either, as I won't use them in a Tri.
  • iadamaiadama Posts: 60
    15 quid track pump with pressure guage from Decathlon - soooo much easier to blow up tires to 100psi.

Also Garmin Forerunner 50 with HRM for 30 quid from Amazon. Bargain!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    they were second hand so probably don't count, but i got my spd-sl pedals, cleats and r130 shoes for £30 last year and i still enjoy the satisfyingly solid click as i set off.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    got to agree with the track pump - picked one up for a snip less than £20 from evans and its made that spontaneous ride happen a few minutes faster and easier!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Yep Track pump - yellow Joes Blow one

Also

Louis Garneau aero helmet off ebay £25

Mmm bewteen the two - s'pose the pump
  • meakiemeakie Posts: 124
    my xtenex auto blocking elastic laces! £8 well spent! far more comfy than my other lock laces!
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    For me its got to be the tri shorts. I got some Zoot ones on clearance for £18 and they're amazing. I wear them everything!
  • wafflewaffle Posts: 6
    My Compression stuff by 2xu its just under £50 a piece and I love it so much !
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    £50 doesn't seem to go as far as it used to!

10 things that have made a big difference for less (or a Triathlon Xmas list)

1) Foam roller - can't recommend enough
    2) compression leggings (mine are linebreak)
    3) profile aero-bottle (you will drink more and slow down less. Getting covered in sticky sports drink is just part of the fun)
    4) top tube food pack (chop up different flavoured Mule bars (these are the best bars) into six and munch your way through long rides)
    5) pt strap for running with ITBS
    6) icepack for freezer - ice knees for 20 mins after every hard run
    7) neoprene shoe covers - getting to that time of year again
    8) Montane Featherlight - always have it with me 'cos it's so small
    9) Assos chamois cream (rub into your pad before the swim, it still works on the bike)
    10) anti-fog for goggles. So much better than spit.
    PS - thought of 2 more
    11) good socks - take your pick, but if you've not had good ones you won't believe the difference they make to your day.
    12) latex tubes and michelin Pro 3 tyres - transform your ride

Ade
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Ironman running cap.... Gives me an air of invincibilty whilst running in the blazing sun.... although it was tested to its extreme recently in Prague.....it came through a little battered and I had to give it some treats afterwards to make up for a very hard run:)
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    You mean, kit can cost less then £50????

I think i have to agree since I found the xtenex laces at xmas i haven't taken them out of my runners, or my gym trainers, or my work shoes, or well any air of shoes i had really - they are fantastic.

But my clipless pedals are a very close second, after the initial falling over type stuff they have been brilliant!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Once again, I PM'ed treefrog and he said...

£50?? FIFTY QUID?? You cheap-skate bunch of losers. What's the point of evening entering a triathlon if you're going to spend less than FITY QUID on anything?? Stop whinging and get your wallet out!

Where the hell is the old duffer?

Anyway, I'm there with the gorilla man with a vote for Aquasphere Caiman. £12
    Fell for the Xtenex marketing hype and was then surprised at how much better than a normal stretchy lace they are. £5
    Bodyglide, always. £Few
    Profile top tube jelly-baby holder bag type thingy. £20-ish
    Halfords/Bike Hut track pump with pressure gauge that'll cope with up to 160psi. Bargain. £30
    Lucozade sport £pence

BEST BUY: My coached swimming sessions. Tuesday night, 1 hour, £3. Ta, Lucy!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I hate these threads. Just starting to build up a new shopping list now.

Wondering whether to get some of the xtenex laces now - just have the bog standard lock laces.

I also think I need a new bike helmet.
  • My birthday/Christmas list now runs to several pages.....

blurredgirl
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Jack, get the xtenex laces - they will make such a difference!
  • penguinpenguin Posts: 37
    CO2
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Another vote for xtenec laces.
    Not only but also...
    Race belt! Does anyone still use safety pins?
    Nuun tablets (although I'm rapidly approaching £50 spent on these)
    Kayenne goggles (£12)
    Sportscount swimming lap counter thingybob (£20+)
    Saddle bag (where else can I store my puncture kit, spare tube, levers, phone, bank card and spare cash in case of emergency on those long rides?)
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    Missed off my 2XU run cap. I'm sure any other run cap would have kept the sun, rain and sweat out of my eyes...but only 2XU tells me that I am "cloaking myself in an optimization layer".

(Ah, Mr. Bond. Don't you realise the futility of your endeavors, for I am cloaked in an optimization layer - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA)

Ade
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    just yesterday, £42=an hour with my chiropractor. I am a broken woman.

Priceless.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Ronhill tracksters the original and the best.
  • CCSCCS Posts: 53
    Stop!!!
    I have already ordered some xtentec laces, and keep seeing other things listed here that I want. I am meant to be on a spending ban this month!!!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    CCS wrote:
    Stop!!!
    I have already ordered some xtentec laces, and keep seeing other things listed here that I want. I am meant to be on a spending ban this month!!!
    Triathletes don't have a spending ban,it is referred to as 'Aquisitional Transition',or 'that time span between decision and payment'