Home Chat General Chat

Planet X components choice

I'm going to purchase my SL Pro Carbon this week but not sure on which groupset to go with.
Originally it would have been the 105/Ultegra mix but now they're doing the Sram Rival build.

I think I'm pretty keen on the Rival but what's others opinions?

Also the choice in sizes in drop bars, 38-42cm. Is that the width? And what should I consider when deciding?

Comments

• If it were my money I'd go for the superlight ultegra build, those cnc machined brakes are superb and the carbon chainset is worth £600 on its own, the whole package for £1300 .......unbeatable.
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    Unfortunately I don't have the extra £300, and even if I did my girlfriend wouldn't let me spend it, as it's just a 'bike'
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    man those are some bargains - any idea on frame quality? anyone got any experience with them?
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    'Just a bike' !!!!!!!

Try its just a pair of shoes, or just a handbag and see how far you get
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Zacnici wrote:
    Try its just a pair of shoes, or just a handbag and see how far you get
    Be careful on your phrasing though - it might sounds like youre offering them
  • [toPh] would be good if you can provide some feedback for your Planet X bike once you've used it a couple of times.

I'm in the market for a road/tri bike and they seem to be a lot of bike for the money but not many reviews out there that I can find. Cheers.
  • first of all let me say i built my planet x bike up myself as i wanted sram and they didnt offer it at the time :roll:

as for the choice of components, i've used sram and shimano and i prefer sram. there's probably very little actual performance difference but i prefer the look and feel of it.

on the frame. wow. i bought the stealth pro carbon and i love it. i was worried about carbon fibre being fragile but it def isnt. we only have one car and it's the mrs, and its an old shape renault megane convertible so get the bike in i have to take both wheels off and they go in the boot, frame goes on back seat. have to put the roof down to squeeze it in! i was really worried about it the first few times but not had any problems. even drove up to bolton with it like that for ironman! performance difference? huge! i had a trek 1000sl before and i upgraded the wheels on that to bontrager race xlites. i kept those wheels when i sold the bike and i used them for ironman so the only upgrade was the frame. on downhills i ws flying past people without even pedalling! the people i was passing were pedalling but not going crazy, but even still i was just tucked on the aero bars and flying! and i mean really flying.
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    I've yet to hear a bad word about Planet X bikes.
    There's loads of them around in transition and a lot of guys in my club have them as well.
    The carbon fibre isn't fragile, if anything it's more robust than more expensive frames as it uses a larger weave to keep costs down.

If I were you - I'd save the cash on the Sram groupset and go with the 105/Ultegra and upgrade the wheels to the Planet X carbon 50s!