Home Chat General Chat

Typical Newbie Bike question!!

Hi

Got the Tri bug, trainning hard in Loughborough UNI. Basically I would like to have some suggestion on entry road bikes for beginners like me! I heard alot of opinions about getting a dirt cheap bike, but I don't really want to do that, I would like to have a DECENT bike that isn't expensive, and that I can use it to race competitively!

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    Chris,

I bought a hybrid bike (Specialized Sirrus) three years ago for exactly that reason. I could use it for racing AND for around-town riding, and upgraded a few components here and there once I started to get a bit more serious. I haven't traded up to another model yet, but I probably will some time this year.

If I had it to do over again, I suppose I should have bought a lightweight racing bike, because the biggest obstacle I now face is that the Sirrus has flat handlebars, not drop handlebars, and the frame won't take the lighter racing brakes on the rear brake. Sirrus (Allez), Trek (the 1000), Ridgeback (Genesis Day 5) all make good lightweight entry-level racing bikes in the £400-500 range and there are some good sales on right now. If you have the time, patience and knowledge of all the jargon, there are some decent 2nd hand bargains out there (these forums, eBay, etc).

Also, make sure to set aside some money for accessories. Chain(s) and lock(s), helmet, lights, shoes, reflective clothing, comfy cycling shorts, sweat-wicking shirt, can all make your riding and training experience more comfortable and safer, but can add over £200 to your budget.

But, as Lance said, "It's not about the bike, it's about the biker." I see people putting in very respectable times on heavy-ass mountain bikes with too much weight and suspension, just because they are hard-working, motivated cyclists.

Rob
  • steveosteveo Posts: 69
    Go for the trek 1000, it was my first and she never let me down. i upgraded the wheels slightly towards the end of the season but that was only pride, they did not need upgrading.

i am not the only one who thinks this juding by the amount trek 1000's that were in transition at the michlob london tri this year.
  • oscaroscar Posts: 4
    Hi, I'm in the same position, just about to start out a training schedule and attempt my first tri next year and am currently looking for a bike (father Christmas will hopefully bringing me one as I've been a good boy this year!). Anyway, my daft question is, what are the main differences between a tri bike and a decent road bike? Would a good road bike be a better investment as I will be using it for training and a bit of commuting, and what extras would I need to then convert it for use in a tri?

So many questions!!

• HI bought Trek 1000 july 05 my first season in triathlon , completed Ironman Sherborne on it this year .Great feeling passing people on £2500 bikes when you ar on your £500 machine! You got to put the miles in whatever you buy.

Someone once told me unless you ar a pro don t spend more than £1000 on the bike you get more effect on time reduction by loosing body weight!
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    oscar wrote:

Hi, I'm in the same position, just about to start out a training schedule and attempt my first tri next year and am currently looking for a bike (father Christmas will hopefully bringing me one as I've been a good boy this year!). Anyway, my daft question is, what are the main differences between a tri bike and a decent road bike? Would a good road bike be a better investment as I will be using it for training and a bit of commuting, and what extras would I need to then convert it for use in a tri?

So many questions!!

The main difference between tri and road bikes is to do with the angle of the seat post. Supposedly the difference makes the transition into running easier as the angles on a tri bike engage more of your running muscles (or this is at least how I understand it).

Never having done any serious road cycling before now or used a regular racing bike (I went straight to a tri bike) I can't offer an opinion on how much of a difference it makes. I suspect if you start taking the sport seriously then it could be worthwhile.
  • mini__Cmini__C Posts: 44
    Hi

Jus did some window shopping and I was wondering what you guys thought of the Raleigh Airlite 300?? its quite cheap on ebay!

Thanks

Chris