Home Chat General Chat

anybody raced at dorney lake

I am down to do the orce race at dorney lake on the bank holiday weekend the olympic distance , as antbody done any races at this venue and what is it like . Suppose to be a fast course as it's a lap course. With 8 laps on the bike (have to remember to bring my calculator) round the lake it's got to be fast

Just looking for advice and anybodies experience at this venue

Comments

• i think the question you should ask is "has anyone not done an event at dorney lake". In all honesty, it is the flatest course you will ever do (the biggest hill is going over a hump back bridge). Nail the sucker but watch out for the wind, it can get pretty windy there.

(I did my first tri there!)
  • jasejase Posts: 47
    Yeah - did the For Goodness Shakes sprint tri there earlier in the year.

Thought it was a really good course, especially for a fast time.
    The lake was a little bit 'weedy' but wasn't really an issue.
    The ride is pretty much flat, as they advertised. A couple of small bridges to go over and that was it.
    The run we did was a 2 lap out and back along the edge of the rowing lake - again flat.
    Transition was set up well, right next to the lake and pretty small.

All good, you'll enjoy it
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    the wind can be a right pain in the proverbial. i had a really strong cross wind back in May which made the cycling pretty difficult
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Fast but you will be yawning by the end. But if you yawn too wide, the crosswind will pull you off the bike.
  • pacman2102pacman2102 Posts: 247
    so what you are all saying it's a fast course as long as it's not windy . So I should be on for a PB as long as the weather good . Anybody got advice on how they were sure they did the 8 laps on the bike as if you are giving it all you may not remember to count.

So a good course to do sub 2 hours then ????
  • best suggestion I have heard was someone who attached 8 sweets onto the top of his frame and ate one after every lap, genius!! Either that or look at your cycle computer for the distance covered!!
    I am normally to busy checking the speed and the cadance to check the distance covered , normally go on time . But if the course is as fast as everybody says maybe more difficult.

Like the idea of sweets , may try it with gels

• It's a fabulous course - did it back in June.

Lake - weedy, but otherwise just fine. Lovely surroundings.
    Bike course - very fast. I got a bike PB there, by miles.
    Run - could be very hot and dull. When we all did it on a very hot day in June most of us whinged about the hell that was the run.

Distance - count carefully. The sweets are a good idea. Some people pull off strips of tape, but the result of this is loads of sticky tape all over the course - nasty. Personally I always rely on my computer to get the distance right. If I think I'm on the last lap, or have one to go but am not sure, a glance at the computer will tell me exactly wehere I am.

blurredgirl
    I will try some kind of supplement ie gel or sweet to remember the laps, going for sub hour on the bike or there abouts so want be looking at the computer all I will be interested in is getting my head down and giving it everything

• 8 laps of the course would take me roughly 1 hour 5 - 10 mins (depending on wind) so I suggest consuming 8 gels in that time might not be such a good idea.
  • Plus: please, please try not to drop your tape all over the course. Really suffered with this at the South Coast tri last year - sticky tape attaching itself to tyres and threatening my bike's delicate little working parts....

I think the organisers recommed doing this but have not taken into account what havoc can be wreaked by having sticky stuff everywhere. It's seriously unpleasant.

blurredgirl
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Surely it will be a little quicker to peek down at the comp maybe once or twice if you arent sure of laps near the end of the course, than it would be to have to have a sweet or pull off a pice of sticker on each lap. I dont get it. Im guessing most people have a gel and or drink near the end of the bike so a look down wont cost you any time. Maybe it depends on the comp you have and how much info you can screen.
  • I just look at the computer as it would be set on distance. Don't need to know how fast I am going or speed as I would generally be going flat out.
    thinking about it you are right on the gel front 8 is to many normally only do 1 or 2 per race and a bottle of drink , I will use my onboard computer and check my average speed .

Hoping to average 25 mph so the hour is on last couple have just been below but they have been rolling course and 44k or 42 k
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Worst race of my season by miles. Not due the venue though.

It was more because i had it penned in as a good PB course and then went on to have a terrible, terrible day. No wetsuits for the swim, and i got boxed in among the slower swimmers resulting in only just sneaking in under 30 minutes (PB is 22, possibly a little short, but not that short!).

Then i had a terrible bike where i couldnt seem to get above 20mph and stick to it. Mainly due to the wind, but also because i just couldnt get down on the drops without feeling awful.

Not a bad run. But by then i had practially given up.

Nice venue - especially if you have support as you are in view a lot. I was on my own, so didnt benefit. Hey ho.
    I hope I don't have a similar experience I am hoping for a PB and as I am coming down from the north want to make it worth while