Home Chat General Chat

Swimming lessons

huwdhuwd Posts: 228
Anyone know the best way to get some swimming lessons or any recommendations in the London area (north london) or anywhere from London west to Reading way?

At the moment I really think I need to brush up on the basics again to get rid of bad habits from poor teaching during school years before I look seriously at any efficiency training and distance work.

Comments

• willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    i've heard good things about these guys - think there in N1.

http://www.swimfortri.com/
  • Also http://www.swimtime.org have a London contact. They advertise at my LA Fitness gym and offer triathlon swim coaching 1:1 or as part of a group along with regular swim lessons.

I contacted the Chester instructor for more info a little while back and prices seemed reasonable, however I'm not ready for coaching as still improving swimming albeit slowly!!

May be worth a shot.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Super thanks - will check them out
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    I have first lesson with SwimforTri next Wednesday (in Canary Wharf) - happy to report back on how it went
  • i've done one lesson with swimfortri and they were great (tho I can't compare against any other swimming coach)...it's in an endless pool and they video you from front and the side and you get to see how bad (in my case) swim stroke is. They give you techniques to improve and there's always a reason to go back. Haven't done that yet tho....they aren't exactly cheap but I thought it was worth it...took about 15 secs off my normal time....
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I had 3 sessions on a 1-2-1 basis with swim for tri in Shorditch and they were really helpful. Got me trough my first few tri's and i had made real progress since. I am planning on going for some more sessions with them towards the end of the season so i have something to work on over the winter. I also went to one of their OW courses at the Serpentine which was very helpful, although the group was large i think they still managed to give enough attention to make sure everyone got something from it. They were really good, I'd definately recommend them
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Cheers guys - got myself booked on a course with swim for tri starting in October, really good price! I'm going right back to basics and can't wait!
  • I went back to basics last year and visited a "Total Immersion" weekend clinic. It was in Switzerland, so probably not very practical for you, but the TI method is offered in UK also - try googling Total Immersion and "Swim like a fish".
    I've totally changed the way I swim as a result!
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    I've a question about this...i'm not a strong swimmer but i wouldn't drown either. i can probably do a mile at a push with some stops....if i continue to swim swim and swim some more does it make sense that i'll get better (as with running...build up distance etc) or does technique count for everything?

in other words, if i go to a swimming coach is he going to be able to teach me to swim 2 miles without stopping and not be absolutely bolloxed??? in other words....can coaching make it easy like the TI website reckons it can
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Andy - yes technique is everything with swimming - the more you do without decent technique the better you'll get at being bad (TM Conehead). At first coaching makes you feel like you're going slower, less far and are generally worse. But that is because you are unlearning how not to do it and then you will improve drastically. Before I got some coaching, I could barely managed 400m without stopping and gasping for breath. a few coached sessions later (2) I could swim 400m comfortably, then after the last one and several sessions of hard work learning what i had been taught i swam 1k, then 1,500 and felt reasonably ok.
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    I don't think it gets any easier you just go faster and still feel rubbish

Seriously though, I did a TI course and now I love swimming front crawl but I still have lots to work on with regard to speed and stroke rate.

Get good lessons, get good technique and it will feel easier to go as fast and as far as you are going now
  • sportevesporteve Posts: 141
    i've had 2 endless pool sessions with swimfortri so far and they were great help because when i started my style (or lack of it!) was quite bad
    i improved a lot but there is still plenty of room for improvement - i try to have a session every few months so in the meanwhile i can work on the feedback and the drills they give me (and also on the lovely dvd where i can admire my phelps-like performance from many angles!)
    i wouldnt have done my first tri without these sessions and without the OW sessions i did with swimfortri too
    they do OW courses in upminster and in the serpentine in hyde park etc so they are a good place to look for all yourswim needs
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    Anyone know if I can get a lesson in an endless pool anywhere up north???