Home Chat General Chat

Average training weeks???

Just trying to get an idea of what other peoples training weeks are like, I seem to plan around 8 sessions a week but only get round to completing half of them

Last week I did 2 weights sessions for about 45 minutes, played football for 30 minutes and completed a 60 minute club swim session.

I know I need increase the amount of training I do so thought I could get an idea of acceptable levels of training from other 220 forum members

Comments

• pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    Hi rob1

Don't think I'm typical but 4 sessions a week is usual for me, 5 in a good week and 6 in a very good week! 5-6 hours is probably my weekly norm, going up to 10 hours building up to a longer race. Would love to do more, but other commitments have to come first.

• I'm pretty similar. I target about 6-7 hours a week (around about 300 hours a year give or take). Most sessions are between 30 mins and an hour, but once the weather is better I'll be targetting 90 min plus weekend bike sessions.

This year was my first and I spent a lot of my time in the pool as I assumed that riding a bike was just riding a bike. My race splits show that I need to focus much more on riding a bike so I'm aiming at a 25/50/20/5 split for the swim/bike/run/strength training this year. I'm hoping for a 10min decrease in times for my sprint times this year and to complete my first Olympic distance event.
  • Hi guys

off season i'm doing 1-2 hours swimmimg per week, (1 coached session and 1 group session.)

ride to work once or twice 25m round trip.

1 long run 9m, 1 short run (posssibly interval training for speed work.)

1 longbike ride at weekend 3 hours

David
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    I aim for above 4 - my training plan involves 8 sessions ... some of these are "nice to have" sessions like lunch time swims and weights ... but I always try and do the key 4 which are swim,tri club swim,longish run, longish bike

works out at about 5hrs per week for the key 4 up about 8hrs when I add in the others

• WellaWella Posts: 188
    I'm planning my training at the moment and i worried about the outcome.

I've signed up for the Marathon de Paris in April next year (why have i done it????) and its obviously had quite an impact on the rest of my training.

I'm aiming for 3-4 run sessions at the moment and 3 weights sessions a week. I also play rugby on a Saturday and cycle 6miles a day in London getting from the station to work. No room for swimming at the moment which worries me as it need improvement if i'm to step up to Olympic distances next year.

The result is that I train 6 days a week at the moment. The rest day still includes a 10km cycle as I get off the train a few stops earlier but I don't count it as a workout as such. Around Xmas I'll drop one of the weights sessions in lieu of swimming.

Does anyone think this is too much?

Wella
    Wella - your training schedule would bury me, but I need a lot of recovery time.

Do you build in 'rest weeks' every 4-6 weeks where you have an easier week? And do you ever schedule 2 days off together to give the body time to rest/repair?

When is your Oly scheduled for, in relation to the marathon?

Hi Pacrfish.

I build in rest weeks every 6 weeks, something I learnt from weight training, wher I will probably play rugby and cycle to work and thats about it. Although I plan to train 6 days a week work committments normally mean I miss a day from time to time so that adds as a rest day. I recover quite quickly but then the most I have ever run is 12km and the most I have ever cycled is about 40km so this is new territory for me.

The marathon is on 15th April and the Olympic is in August, London Triathlon. I am toying with the idea of doing Winsdor in May.

Wella
    Sounds sensible. You'll have increased your run distance a lot by April, and 40k is about the Oly bike distance anyway.

I thought Windsor was 17 june next year cos it clashes with 70.3. If it is, you could easily do both Windsor and London. I did Windsor a couple of years ago and loved it (except the hill outside the castle on the run!) Good atmosphere - go for it!
    Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of Bleinham which is in May.

I am hoping that my run time will improve with all the marathon training, just hope I don't jeopardise the swim and bike times.
  • steveosteveo Posts: 69
    i am doing three swim sessions a week, one long run - 9 mile plus and one really big bike ride - 50 miles plus. further to this i play semi pro rugby and so i train twice a week for that with game son saturday.

i have signed up for IRONMAN switzerland next and was wondering if anyone can adivse me about mey training schedule as i do not feel like i am getting anywhere???!!!

my swim is my weakest leg by far and thus destroys my run. i have read as much literature as i can about technique but it just does not seem to help! any ideas?[:@]
  • Steve

Are you getting swim coaching or just going swimming, if you haven't then get yourself a swim coach and ask then to take your stroke apart and rebuild it. It has worked for me, and my swim time has come down from over 8 minutes to under 7 for the 400m.

David
    Thanks for the advice.

Is there a website that gives a list of swim coaches in your area or is it a matter of going down to your local pool and asking behind the desk?

Are aero wheels actually worth the extra costs? I have saved up and finally bought a tri specific Dolan Pallotta (ultegra 10's). I have got vuelta chrome lights on it at the mo and was considering upgrading.
  • Rich_CRich_C Posts: 152
    steveo wrote:

i am doing three swim sessions a week, one long run - 9 mile plus and one really big bike ride - 50 miles plus. further to this i play semi pro rugby and so i train twice a week for that with game son saturday.

i have signed up for IRONMAN switzerland next and was wondering if anyone can adivse me about mey training schedule as i do not feel like i am getting anywhere???!!!

my swim is my weakest leg by far and thus destroys my run. i have read as much literature as i can about technique but it just does not seem to help! any ideas?[:@]

I mate,

Im in the Lanzarote, My first Triathlon, next May 19th.

My current training is split 60% swim, 30% bike 10% run at the minute because im in the same boat and the swims my weakest leg. I could only swim (in a fashion)[&:] 10 meters 4 months back so i cannot moan at the progress ive made. Ive a swim coach and study Total immersion methods (not 100% pure technique but a blend of, so to speak)

I simply think its best to hammer the training for the weak areas and the rest will look after itself as long as its not totally forgotten about. I asked at the local pool about a coach and found 2. Both have helped me a great deal! I owe them a MASSIVE debt of gratitude.

Total Immersion is the way to go IMO for getting more relaxed and at at peace with the water.

I train an average of 18 hrs a week at the minute but in a few weeks time ill take that to 24 hours untill 6 weeks out from the IM and taper till 9 days out, at which point i hope to be doing very little ! LOL

Best wishes for your IM event my friend[:)]

The Lanzorote! straight of the bat[;)] fair play to you.

it is better to burn out than fade away!!