Home Chat General Chat

BBC Tri coverage

Just browsing the TV listings for the week and see there's 3 hours of live coverage of Hyde Park tomorrow.

Wondering how the commentators are going to fill the time and which cliches are going to emerge...

Has he/she gone too soon?
they call transition the fourth discipline you know
You'll see the elite attach their shoes to their pedals

Any more?

Comments

• clv101clv101 Posts: 45
    Live Triathlon
    BBC1 London 1:00pm-4:30pm (3 hours 30 minutes) Sat 15 Aug
    ITU World Championship Series Graham Bell presents coverage of the men's race in the sixth round of the ITU World Championship Series, staged in Hyde Park, London. Britain's Alistair Brownlee starts the event second in the standings, 93 points behind Maik Petzold of Germany, and will be looking to repeat his form of earlier in the season, when he won the second and third rounds of the campaign in Madrid and Washington. Plus, highlights of this morning's women's event. With commentary by Matt Chilton
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    anyone going to watch it in person? anyone know if you need tickets for the grandstand? can't find links anywhere
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I think you are giving them too much credit silverback, I'm expecting the likes of
    "Its TRI-athlon, that means its 3 sports",
    "what? all at the same time?"
  • SilverbackSilverback Posts: 131
    Desperately trying to work out what the equivalent of jumpers for goal posts would be-choppers for carbon with 78deg seat angle?
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I'm going to possibly watch this if i can get the GAT officer off my back for a few hours that afternoon...although I doubt it. There's nothing on the site about tickets i don't think,
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    I was going to watch this down at Hyde Park but the misses decided that this weekend was the ONLY weekend we can invite our friends and godson round for a bbq.

Gonna have to record it I think... Also, London Tri on Channel 4 Sunday morning 8am.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    probably miss them both as I am marshalling this weekend (at Pewsey) including staurday set up. iplayer etc are marvelous things!

Hollie Avill was interviewed on R4 this monring wrt tomorrow; it was fairly naff questioning to be honest e.g. what would you excel at if you could only do one discipline? Err... that's the point... there is more than one! She effectively but very subtly and politely bascially said that

didds
  • Hey didds - I was writing the below as you posted:

What I heard this morning was Holly Avil being interviewed on Radio 4 and asked if she only focused on one of the disciplines, which one would it be and how good could she become at it?

What an utterly pointless question. At least she dealt with it with dignity, explaining that although she could rack up some competitive times on the running track, she is interested in triathlon as a sport. Triathlon.

The BBC simply cannot get its pretty little head around it at all.

blurredgirl
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Let's hope they don't mis-count the number of laps they've done! That bike looks very dull. Good for spectators I suppose but eight 5k laps around Hyde Park can't be great.
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    Is it definitely going to be on iplayer? The BBC can be notoriously crap at posting sports stuff they have on to that beautiful idea!!!

If anyone is recording it onto DVD or video, I may want a copy as I won't be able to watch it any capacity. Truly gutted about it as well. :roll:
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    i had rather presumed it would be on iplayer I must admit!

didds
  • mumu Posts: 24
    Looking forward to the weekend. I'm marshalling down at Hyde Park on Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully the race will be on the iPlayer, otherwise I'll miss the fun elsewhere on the course.
    DING DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER

"The swim was extremely flat"
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    You couldn't make this stuff up.
    gomez is down! by the look of those grazes it looks pretty nasty.

And has anyone else noticed that gomez was looking a bit chunkier than usual?
  • i love the fact the brownlees are there.......both looking nothing more than boys.......but performing brilliantly.

Anyone up for a tri drinking game?

Pick an athlete-everytime name gets mentioned, take a sip...

Hic
    2:35 "transition is the fourth discipline" -why'd it take so long?
    There it is, it took an hour or so.

"Its swim, bike, run but some say transition is the 4th discipline"

Come on Don, brownlee x 2 and clarke! With no gomez, kahlafelt, shoemaker its got to be brownlee's.
    dam you silverback!
    Gotta love the two guys who missed T2-might be elite but can't count
    There's solace for us all
  • Brownlee is immense
    Think i may be developing a man crush-anyone know where I can get a Brownlee poster from?!
    wow, what a run!
    If I've got the timing right that was a sub 29min 10k????
  • froggerfrogger Posts: 24
    went down to pick up my race number and caught the end of the Elite Womens race. Top stuff.. the event looks well organised.
    Got home to watch the Elite Men... some of them loved the bike leg a little too much
  • froggerfrogger Posts: 24
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ip_Series/

if it doesn't appear on the site... i know a man who knows a man who can put a copy up. ill keep an eye out.
  • LuckyLucky Posts: 137
    Great race, anyone know what happened to Gomez apart from falling off ?
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Good to see a live event (even though I watched the my recording of it last night .

The commentary was embarrassingly awful though. Stuart Storey can't have ever seen a bike race before. "He's down to third... no.. fourth.. no fifth. Oh dear. No! Wait!! He's back to first again!!! Incredible!". Just when they were getting a bit organised and having getting a bit of chain gang going.

They need to sit him down and make him watch the coverage of the tour.

I'll let Michelle Dillon off as a beginner, but I'm sure the guy she was paired with was getting the giggles because she was just so lost for words. I'm sure she'll learn in time. She was a lot better commentating on the race, rather than doing the pieces to camera.

They commentators missed it, but you can see the moment when Pais came round and saw the running pack. It made me sick just watching that. How awful. Although it was their responsibility, it looked like the marshals had messed up - there was no one there waving the red flags at the dismount line - they were there in time for when the bunch arrived. So I can understand them getting a bit confused.

A great performance by GBR though. Brownlee is in a different league. Pity it all came down to the 10K run. Makes me more opposed to drafting than before - it just doesn't work in an individual sport.

The BBC really need to find some decent commentators to explain what was going on. To an outsider it will have just been confusing - and look like a running race with non-quite-up-their atheletes who for some reason have done a bit of a warm up with a swim bike/before hand - with a completely chaotic mass start at the start of the race.
  • IronABSIronABS Posts: 66
    I have to agree the commentary was awful - i had to turn it off as it was spoiling my enjoyment of the womens race - How many times did he say "well just look at this" and spent much of the bike ride just identifying the athletes - We can give Michelle Dillon the benfit of the doubt although she was there as a pundit whose whole purpose is to provide some insight as to what is going on, but spent a lot of the womens race going "i dont know whats happening" - When we had the crash on the womens bike leg the comentators spotted it a good 2 mins after it had been shown on TV!!!

It was great to have the whole triathlon shown, but could they not find a commentator who knew what they were talking about or at least had done a tiny bit of research.

As for the races Brownlee was immense, what a run. A good effort too from Stimpson and Swallow in the ladies race.

Mind you Jodie Swallow cant do anything wrong in my books!! What a woman i may be in love!!
    Yes it was cringeworthy-swimming commentary basically amounted to "there are 66 men in the water" but what did we really expect? (Anyone else notice only 62 came out?)

Think we have to keep in mind two things

a) Sports commentary has been renowned for stupidity for decades (Colemanballs etc). Anyone of us who was to speak continually for an hour and forty are bound to say something wrong/inane. It's like your every thought being up for scrutiny-anyone really fancy that? I also suspect that the Sunday morning coverage on C4 puts commentary on after the event, though am happy to be proved wrong.

b) It was unfortunate that the event coincided with the world athletic champs and start for the premiership-the best commentators/cameramen are going to pick those over Hyde Park.

I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was and am I alone in being pleased that the coverage wasn't great? I'm new to Tri and enjoy the minority sport aspect that still goes with it. It's been great fun finding out the best shops, kit, tricks of the trade thru the web/word of mouth. Were it to take off and be all over the media, the mystique would be stripped away and it become just another sport