Home Chat General Chat

Swimming Nose Clips

Hi All,
Just wondered if anyone else uses a nose clip for swimming. I find that on a hard training session, I tend to take in an awful lot of water through my nose, leading to occasional spluttering and choking (!!) which then upsets my stroke (obvioulsy!).
I know they aren't expensive, but just wondered if there are any downsides to using them?
Thanks

Comments

• thebouy wrote:
    Hi All,
    just wondered if there are any downsides to using them?
    Thanks
    Yeah, you look like a twat

your welcome..........
  • thebouythebouy Posts: 61
    Lol....I also look like a twat when I'm stopped by the side of the pool choking with snot hanging out of my nose.....any other downsides?
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    i use them in the pool/lake as my sinuses close down completely - thought strangely enough not when i'm racing! i use the speedo one (about £3 from John Lewis), always have a few as your bound to lose some! i had a zoggs one, but it seemed to tight, but i think it depends on your nose shape!

Ignore Firestarter! :roll:
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    I used one when I was a kid but I found they hurt my nose quite a bit. I think I saw somewhere the correct way to breath (which I do incidently) is to exhale continuously (thus relatively slowly) through both the nose and the mouth so your lungs are empty when you take a sharp intake of breath. I takes a bit of getting used to, but when I concentrate on it properly I also find it reduces the frequency of the stitches I get.
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    I use one, but I'd rather not. Water shouldn't come up your nose because you're exhaling through it all the time it is underwater. Even so I found my sinuses blocked nearly all the time from swimming so I tried a nose clip and seems better.

I agree with Firestarter though - they're definitely not cool. (Couldn't find a titanium and carbon fibre one).
    Attach to goggles with string or elastic band so you don't lose it and can make yourself look even sillier. But I'm wearing an all in one rubber suit with a condom on my head and getting beaten up by strangers in a cold lake - like I care what I look like!!

The real downside is that using a clip will then stop you from learning to breathe properly in your stroke.

Ade
  • I breath out through my nose quite a bit (as well as through my mouth) and i think that if i had a clip on it would effect my breathing too much.

If you're taking water in through your nose then that's obviously an issue, but what if it were to come off in a race?? You would be better off learning to swim without it, it wouldn't take long, just a few sessions before you adjusted.

Just a thought!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i use one, i tried for a few months to learn to swim without and the discomfort in my nose and sinuses was significant enough to affect my concentration and stroke. i guess my enormous hooter just isn't swimming friendly.

i just make sure i am exhaling slowly and constantly though my mouth, so far it seems ok.

i would recommend that you get a coloured one (speedo do orange, dark blue and green i think). if you drop it in a pool then the clear ones are almost impossible to find. in a lake they'll all be impossible to find!
  • chischis Posts: 94
    Yeh I have used one - like others mainly because of the way my nose runs as though I have a steaming cold after a long session in the pool. The clip helps that problem but it took a while to get used to it as it does seem to restrict the breathing pattern that I had developed and it is just another thing to remember when getting ready to compete and another thing to deal with at T1 (unless you chuck one away each time you compete).

If your problem is mainly that you are getting water up your nose and not that the water affects your sinuses then I would guess that you are not breathing out hard enough as your face is just exiting the water - i.e. don't start breathing in too early or water will go up the nose and down your throat. If the problem is with the sinuses then you have to decide whether to have the fuss of the clip or to put up with any reaction to the water. That said - open water swimming shouldn't make your nose react as much as pool water - or at least that is my experience.

In my own case, I have found the clip too much of a hindrance and have decided to put up with the runny nose.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    If it is a case of a runny nose after swimming then go and see your doctor, you may have an allergic type reaction to the chlorine in the pool. I have been on a steroid nasal spray for a while now due to an oversensitivity to something (unknown) that really affected my training, much better now though.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    well I use one as one thing guarenteed to make me loose it in water is water up my nose - and yes 've done the blowing out continually but for some strange reason the water still flows in - I do the attach to goggles but this didn't work with my OW ones so for London had a spare up the sleeve of my wetsuit - just got rid of something else to panic abour And yes I know what I look like I have a photo from my first tri
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    you can attach a noseclip with string/laggy band to the nose bridge on normal goggles, but not with a mask type.

On my seal xp I attach to the strap and the elastic band sits just below lens.

Ade
  • LeezarLeezar Posts: 36
    I only use a nose clip for sea swimming as the salt water does not do my sinuses any good.

I did wonder if it would affect my breathing as when swimming in the pool I exhale out through my nose but found no problems at all.

Don’t care if I look daft with a nose clip it can’t be worse than wearing a tri suit or wetsuit
  • After pool swimming I get like a cold for 2 days which then just goes .. so I might try a nose clip .. I guess I take too much water in to my mouth and nose but changing breathing/any swimming technique at 54 is hard! I tried breathing both sides alternatively .. couldn't do that! My opportunities to swim and the get a cold for 2 days thing means I hardly train for swimming at all the last couple of years. I'll try a nose clip ... any other suggestions welcome please. The other solution is open water only - no problems there but in the North of Scotland the sea can be cold.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Firestarter wrote:
    [quote="thebouy":o6ql3jwe]Hi All,
    just wondered if there are any downsides to using them?
    Thanks
    Yeah, you look like a twat

your welcome..........[/quote:o6ql3jwe]

+1