Home Chat General Chat

No Novices?

Hello,

I’ve been planning my first Triathlon for a while and managed to find a short event that suits my novice status. I have had all the fears about being clueless, but have been reassured by articles and posts here that I will not be alone……

However, when I looked at last years results in more detail it seems like there were no Novices? The actual results don’t phase me (too much!) what really bothers me is that I’ll potentially be the only one without a clue and I’ll be a ‘pain’ for the seasoned competitors.

http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/recreation/triathlon/2008/SkeneShortResultsOverall.pdf

I'd be grateful if you could answer my question – Should I pull out and try to find another race (with some novices)? Or do I remain and break all the etiquette rules and annoy everyone?

- I hope I posted the link correctly -

http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/recreat ... verall.pdf

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    i had a look at that results thing and while it didn't mention novices it also didn't not mention them either! is there somewhere where the clubs or affiliations are set out?

i'd say go do it - don't worry about being a 'pain' to the seasoned competitors and take part. all my experiences of triathlon (count them on one hand!) is that pretty much all the competitors are friendly and welcoming. if you are really worried then check you are in a wave away from the serious ones and in with the rest of us mortals.

• TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Don't worry about it

even the pro's had 1st race!

everyone knows how it feels

go for it

check out the border triathlons

http://www.bslt.org.uk/
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Even if it is full of Pro's everyone has to start somewhere, its all about completing your first event, not winning it.

Get signed up and go for it, there's no better feeling than crossing that finish line for the first time.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Seasoned triathletes can be as just a pain as novices but thankfully the number of pains is very small and in comparison to many other sports is very friendly. Nobody I know is anything but freindly and helpful to novices. At the last tri - Sth Cerney - I was talking to one chap in his early 20's gave him some pointers and afterwards he sought me out to thank me which was very rewarding.

Go for it you will have a blast
  • cammykcammyk Posts: 36
    I don't see the problem. It just looks like a short race witha small field. I have never seen any specific mention of Novice category in any race I've looked at. Its quite a small field and its a short event just go and have fun. How wrong can you make it. Swim, Cycle run...easy. ....relax its supposed to be fun
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Looks like those distances were 400m, 15km, and 3km, so those times aren't anything to worry about! Chances are there would have been a fair few novices in there.

And don't feel intimidated! You may feel nervous but look around and you'll see everyone else is too.

So put the fear aside and go and enjoy yourself! You can do the distance, you've done the training, now put it to use.
  • 45CDO45CDO Posts: 44
    Thanks for the reassurance, I'm signed up - I'll post a note once completed.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Or better still, enter, win by a proverbial & REALLY p**s 'em off.
    Thanks for all the advice – this is what happened -

Skene Short Novices Triathlon 16th Aug –Swim 400m, Cycle 16km, Run 3.2km

After arriving at the carpark this morning I had a mild panic attack when I saw that the majority of the other competitors had aero bars, cleats and even the odd aero helmet. I soon managed to get over this and set up my bike etc. Everyone was pretty friendly and the organisation was good.

Swim – On the swim my technique fell apart after a 100m because I went out way too fast. I had originally submitted an expected swim time of 9m 30secs - I revised this down to 8m 20secs last week and was happy to complete the actual race in 7mins 28secs.

T1 – Went fine, in fact I was pretty happy with this, only real problem was that I struggled getting my feet in the toe clips as the exit from the transition area was straight up a steep hill.

Bike – This is my weakest discipline but it went reasonably well, in fact, I was only overtaken once (although it did look like I was stopped when this happened!) I must admit that after today the rules around drafting are even more hazy to me. Anyway, I completed the bike section in 29mins 50secs.

T2 – Again this went fine, although I was a little wobbly running with the bike.

Run – I really struggled here and two guys in my heat both passed me within the first 400m. It wasn’t just the ‘jelly leg syndrome’. I also struggled with my breathing and couldn’t get into a satisfactory rhythm. As I approached the finish I overtook another competitor and this created a sprint finish (which helped both our times), we ended up going over the line at exactly the same time and I finished the run in 10:59.

So overall, I beat my goal of going under 1hr and came 7th out of 35 (v. happy with that).

Swim 7:28
    T1 1:25
    Cycle 29:50
    T2 0:32
    Run 10:59
    Total 50:17

Thanks again for all the help,

Dean
  • Good going fella, really good times.

I still get a little intimidated by bike blingage, but nothing gives me greater pleasure than to pass one of those flying machines
  • Nice one Royal! LOL
    Ha ha - cheers for that! The name gives it away!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Just a bit ... unless of course you are an afficiando of 45rpm records on the CDO lable!

Well done - you are no longer a tri virgin - welcome to the tribe
  • cammykcammyk Posts: 36
    Well done sir, just as easy as that
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Good work fella!

I have no idea what the hell 45CDO is all about by the way. Not even a guess.

When's your next one then?
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Conehead's quote is right. It did happen to me and I was majorily fucked off about it. So much that I got my PB at it. I was sooo determined to prove the pleb who posted on triathlon scotland's forum wrong.

Can't really see it as a Scottish problem.... well not much. Some of the dicks that I've come across in Triathlons up here annoy me so much.

Best event to-date in terms of organisation and overall atmosphere - Chase Race.

I think this could open up debate with elites not wanting novices in "their" races?????

(no offences elites as I know some of you's are really decent but there have been a few I've come across who are not.... strathclyde......)
    Cheers for your comments -much appreciated. I was going to leave it until next year but I've decided to squeeze in a sprint on September 20th (Huntly). Thanks again.
  • jafajafa Posts: 6
    Bloody hell 45cdo, youve brought up a few ghosts from the past. I was born in Huntly and served in 45 from 79-84 and ended up in 3BAS (847 )Just getting into this tri lark, though my step son completed his first IM at Bolton. Im sure the facilities at Condor are slightly better now than my day. Is the ski slope still there?
    Im still in touch with a lot of my old oppos but mainly taking them skiing in Austria. See the for sale site under accomodation in Kitzbuhel. With the worlds coming to Kitz very year, Im trying to develop that side of the business for the summer. So if you need a trg venue, give me a shout. (Or skiing in the Winter)

Jafa

(The avation version)
    Cheers for that, I'll have a look at the site. The ski slope was still at Condor when I left (1999) but I've heard that it's been removed now.