Home Chat General Chat

Marathon - Just Maybe!

After triathlon training since February I have completed 1 OD tri with my second this coming weekend.

I have done a 1/2 marathon in training a few weeks back in 2 hours, and was contemplating a full marathon [Dublin City] at the end of October. I am wondering is there enough time to train for this as my tri season is over - plus it would be a big help towards HIM next year in Switzerland.

George

Comments

• Barny51Barny51 Posts: 16
    DEFO

Just make sure you dont just suddenly only do running, as unles you are a gifted runner who weighs nothing you will get injured... concentrate on riding as a constant 60-70 heart rate for long periods and you shal be marathon fit in no time.

Good luck!
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    I'm training for the Berlin marathon right now....(just 4 weeks from next Sunday).
    I can confirm, I have seen benefits from long cycles....I'm fitter andmy heart rate stays lower for longer. I can run for three hours and not see 160bpm, it wasnÄt always that way.

But you need to build up the endurance in the legs, running 30km is a LOT harder than running 20km.
    I can run 20km no hassle, but after 30km I'm knackered for two days.....even when I take almost 3 hours to do it.
    I have no idea what it's gonna be like to run 42km!

Just do one LONG run a week, start with 20km and increase it by 2km per week until you get to 30 or 32, plus two other shorter runs. also every 3 or so week, do an easy week. Try to get in 50km per week on the non-easy weeks, thenand a longish cycle every now again again and you'll be set for Dublin.
    Good luck!