Home Chat General Chat

Bike Insurance

Wonder if anyone could give me advice on bike insurance? After picking up my trusty new steed yesterday and subsequently being used as target practise by some youths in a car, I thought I'd best make sure the bike is fully insured in case anything happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    I have the triathlon insurance with cycleguard, policy was £68 I think and includes a £10 premium for leaving my bike unlocked in transition as well as third party insurance and legal cover for training rides. They also do a fairly cheap AA type cover you can add on in case you bike breaks whilst out on a ride.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I also went for the Cycleguard tri insurance. A lot of policies have exceptions for things like racing. A lot of policies require your bike to be securely locked when outside of a building. And possibly locked even then. I.e. when you are likely to damage/loose your bike (racing, commuting), they don't cover you. Some sports policies don't cover you for all types of races.

The tri insurance covers you for all types of races (TTs, sportives, tris etc.). You do not have to have your bike locked in transition to be covered (as Jib said)

You can also get some personal liability insurance which can be useful - not quite sure if it covers you when you crash into meakie though.

I have a few bikes on it, so it was came to a fair chunk - a bit under £100 for a year. We'll see if it is worth it!
  • JaminhoJaminho Posts: 11
    I've recently been looking for insurance too.
    The main bike insurers I can find are: E&L, Butterworth and Cycleguard.
    As others have mentioned cycleguard do a tri specific policy, but it is expensive. I'm not sure what sort of bikes the others have on here, but I just plugged in £1000 and the active option with no public liability, Euro travel or other people and got quoted £110 a year. For what is effectively a very basic policy that seems a lot to me. (I may be doing soething wrong though!)
    E&L are quoting about £80 for a similar one, but I do need to check with them about locking the bike in Transition (as that isn't going to happen!)

The best option as others have mentioned is M&S home insurance (as long as you have home insurance!). I had a brief look but it was about £400 a year so not an option for just bike insurance!
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    BTF membership covers you for public liabilty whilst racing or training and gives personal accident cover, it could represent a saving, especially when combined with the saving on race entry fees. It doesn't cover your bike, althought they seem to recommend a policy from butterworth which doesn't include unlocked bikes in transition.
  • han382han382 Posts: 80
    Just to expand on Coneheads thread-the M&S cover for your bike is included in your home insurance-i.e you don't pay an additional premium. I only learned of this recently-my home insurers are charging about an extra £25 per month for my 2 bikes on top of the basic house contents cover. As soon as the contract runs out I'll be on the phone to M&S and saving £s.
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    I'll second that.

I've recently worked out that in the last 7 years in London I've had:
    3 BMXs, 2 Mountain bikes, a Hybrid, 1 road bike (my Orbea - sniff) stolen from work/shed/home. A couple of those were recovered, i.e. dumped.
    Plus, 2 motorcycles and a rather nice Condor Fratello hit by cars who ALL left the scene!

I think I need to lie down now.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Thanks one an' all. I'm off to check my home insurance......
  • JaminhoJaminho Posts: 11
    Just spoke to E&L and none of their policies cover bikes in transition, no matter how many active boxes etc you tick!! Something worth bearing in mind (maybe cycleguard is the only one that does this hence the expense)

I asked why and was told they took it out about 6 months ago due to the number of claims....
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    I think a few people had problems with E&M or L! i went with cycleguard as you dont have to lock up your bike in transition - where the hell would you keep the keys so they didnt sink to the bottom (maybe you'd need an emergency hack saw in your saddle bag!)