Home Chat General Chat

Wetiquette

Ewan suggested a thread to suggest what we might consider to be *good* practice in the pool. So, copy and re-post / remove as necessary and let's see what kind of list we come up with...

* Don't stop mid - length - stop only at the shallow end, and stay to the side.
* If somebody is swimming ahead of you at a slower pace, tap or tickle their feet mid length to let them know you are there.
* If you have your feet tickled, pause at the next turn to let the faster swimmer past.
* Breaststroke - don't do it!
* Keep calm and be polite - everyone has paid to be there.

Over to you...

Comments

• gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    Swim in the direction the arrows say - seriously there was a girl in our pool who was going the wrong way and swam into me, she stood up and said "i always go the wrong way"
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Don't push off the wall really hard just to keep in front of the quicker swimmer(s) behind you - you don't swim fast just by pushing off fast.
  • chischis Posts: 94
    Ha Ha!! Sorry folks, have to have a little giggle at the thought of people tickling other people's feet as they swim - what if the person in front is not aware of what the tickling is all about? I can see some slapped faces on the horizon in the pool I use!! Nice idea but may cause some aggravation - probably amongst the males I have to say.

Don't stop mid - length - stop only at the shallow end, and stay to the side.
    * If somebody is swimming ahead of you at a slower pace, tap or tickle their feet mid length to let them know you are there.
    * If you have your feet tickled, pause at the next turn to let the faster swimmer past.
    * Breaststroke - don't do it!
    * Keep calm and be polite - everyone has paid to be there.

* So to carry on the list, how about - be aware of who is swimming faster than you in your lane and give way at the end of the lane and/or swim well to one side of the lane as you are being followed by a faster swimmer.

*If you are constantly being overtaken - consider doing your session in a slower lane.

*Don't stand/crouch in groups talking at the end of the lane - if you want to chat for lengthy periods - get out of the water and chat.

*Definetely don't do back stroke in a busy lane - or even worse skulling/floating on your back.

Over to someone else for a few more...
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    dont tell me i cant swim breaststroke....and have a go at me at your own peril...i take no sh1t
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    *Don't swim fast backstroke in the medium lane. (kind of the opposite I know but it happens)
    *Don't swim backstroke in a lane if you can't do it straight, I mean there is rope right next to you how hard can it be? Really annoys me when I drop down a lane to do some drills and some idiot starts whacking you as they are going fast/not straight.
    *Tumble turn in the middle of the lane or the new side, not the edge of the lane you are finishing on.
    *Don't duck under all the lane ropes to get from the general swim area to the steps nearest the showers. Walking in air is far easier than walking in water and inconvieniences less people.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Always be tolerant in what you expect from others, but impose the highest standards on your own behaviour.

If you are stopping, then move to the side away from the one that people will naturally be touching at.

Let faster swimmers pass, at the end.

Be flexible in your training plans. If the pool is very full, then don't bother with that 10,000m time trial. Leave that to the tri/club session.

Pick the appropriate lane. It's not a mark of weakness to go in a slower lane, if that is appropriate. Move lanes if you need to, according to what you are doing.

Choose the right time to go.
  • sportevesporteve Posts: 141
    i always swim in the slow lane as i really cannot be dealing with all the machismo that goes on in the fast lanes unfortunately i end up having to deal with pregnant women, chaters, the ones that stand on the side and do 'water exercises', people who cant swim and water 'flappers' that spead all limps occupy the area of a stingrey and go nowhere .....

if i should add something to the wetiquette, i'd say :

-wear a cap, it nice for one to keep ones hair to themselves - i dont find their sight travelling in front of me pleasant

-even more, do not clear your throat in the pool, this is not a footbal field to spit all over, being faced by floating mucus can be traumatic for all of us...
  • dont shout at the little fat guy who clearly doesnt come to the pool often and has self esteem issues just because he is doing a - (minus ) 1km breast stroke in the fast lane. Think this falls under being polite
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    comanighttrain wrote:
    dont shout at the little fat guy who clearly doesnt come to the pool often and has self esteem issues just because he is doing a - (minus ) 1km breast stroke in the fast lane. Think this falls under being polite
    Drown him instead....

*don't stand blocking the end of the lane and then complain when someone asks you to move so they can, shock horror, swim in the swimming pool
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    md6 wrote:
    [quote="comanighttrain":3oyd3siz]dont shout at the little fat guy who clearly doesnt come to the pool often and has self esteem issues just because he is doing a - (minus ) 1km breast stroke in the fast lane. Think this falls under being polite
    Drown him instead....
    [/quote:3oyd3siz]

Am I alone in assuming that Coma was talking about himself? If so, then self drowning is probably not what is wanted.