Home Chat General Chat

New York Triathlon Experience

For anyone thinking of doing a triathlon overseas I would recommend you to seriously consider NY. I competed this year to 'celebrate' my 50th birthday (yes there is life after 40!) Not only was it my first ever OD but I also completed it using my trusty hybrid (althoug I suffered major 'bike envy' in transition and am now upgrading to a roadbike!) The organisation was superb and the marshalls were all helpful and knowledgable- there was even a 'psych station' to help those with pre-event nerves! It felt like the entire city stopped to watch and cheer and the streets and riverside were lined with enthustastic observers. Walking down the ramp to the Hudson River at 6am was the most exciting experience ever and the mile swim in the fast current went by in a flash. Cycling up the highway past famous landmarks kept the smile on my face and the run around Central Park completed the most perfect day. My time? Well a passable 3hrs 11min but the experience? Priceless. One or two facts to take note of tho - firstly ride on the right and overtake on the left (didnt think about that until I got there), Central Park is hilly and the Hudson River tastes revolting!!!!
Am now looking for a new challenge next year - any suggestions?

Comments

• The NY Triathlon sounds cool - I love the city and the thought of a swim downstream in the Hudson, no matter how foul-tasting the water...

Looks like the event was really well catered-for, and well done!!
  • Was the swim all down stream ? Not that i'd shirk a challange of course

Sounds a great event.
  • Doc ScoDoc Sco Posts: 38
    Yep all downstream between seawall and shipping lane! The closer to the shipping lane the faster the current. I completed it in 19mins swimming as close to the shipping lane as I could get! Not bad for a 50yr old lady!!!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    What a fantastic experience! Envy, envy, envy!!! 19mins for 1500m swim - !!! blimey !!!
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    any dates for this for next year?? is it the same time every year?

proper fancy this but timing has to be right
    Yes think its July 18th 2010 - check out the website - www.nyctri.com Entries open Nov 1st at 12.01 am eastern time - it means you have to get up in the middle of the night to enrol, be warned it was full within 22mins this year, also it coincided with the clocks changing here so had to account for that also. But its sooo worth it.
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    well it might have to wait, if i get into imuk i might do this the year after.
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    Looks fantastic.......once you got your place how easy were the logistics?...hotels/transport, shipping your bike etc?...can feel a 'we should do new york again' campagin on the home front...may cost a fortune on the shopping front.
    Logistics were very easy, Flew BA, packed bike in a bike bag which cost an xtra £30 to fly out, stayed at the Sheraton which was the race headquarters - massive expo at hotel (spent a fortune but hey ho once in a lifetime event) registration was a continuous process all day Fri and Sat, had to attend a safety talk which ran every half hour then collected everything I needed. Transition was huge but again tours ran continuously by volunteers who were very knowledgeable and answered all questions - they also gave lots of really useful tips so on the day i knew exactly what to expect. One really useful tip I would give anyone thinking of doing this event - stay on UK time when you arrive. I arrived on the Fri for the event on Sun, went to bed 5pm NY time (10pm UK time) on Fri and Sat so getting up at 4am to get the 4.30 transport (provided by event organisers) to the transition was easy cos it felt like 9am to my body!!! There was zero stress involved which allowed me to really soak up the atmosphere and enjoy the event.

my advice - GO FOR IT!!
  • i would like to nominate this for '220 thread of the season' .. for the inspirational positivity, creativity simplicity and sheer enjoyment of all that is doing an overseas triathlon.

• aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    over the last 8 months i have shocked/surprised/excited/bored then lost a good number of friends whilst i went on my novice year journey of this Tri world...however now have a few ready to convert having shown them the New York experience....Nov 1st here we come!!..