Home Chat General Chat

£700 to spend on a bike-which one though?

hi all, i am new to the triathlon scene but consider myself quite fit doing circuit training, boxing and long distance running. my employer runs a cycle to work scheme where i can get a bike for roughly half its normal retail price. after working out my budget i can afford a bike that retails for £700 so im after advice on which one ( or style) to go for. im not sure about a road bike as i wish to use the bike over the local parks although i wouldnt be jumping down hills or anything like that. any ideas???????????????

Comments

• Hi.
    Bikes, like a lot of things, are very much a personal choice. You'd be best off test riding a few different types from your local bike shop to whittle down the options. I'd suggest taking a road bike and a hybrid around your local routes and compare the two styles (discounting a mountain bike straight off) and how they feel, how comfortable they are, etc.

There are entry level hybrids well within your budget (Cannondale Bad Boy springs immediately to mind).
    I like the look of the Scott Sub range with the Sub 30 and 20 coming well within your budget. They have flat bars, a more relaxed frame geometry (similar to MTB) and slick tyres (or 700CC road wheels) so should be fast on smooth surfaces. There are also plenty of road bikes within your budget.

If you manage to whittle down the options to specific bikes and models then maybe post up here again and ask if anybody has one and can provide feedback on the bike(s).
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    £700?
    Go second hand!
    Look on eBay. For £700 you should be able to pick up a bike worth twice that that hasn't had a lot of use.
  • doogledoogle Posts: 58
    From what you say you want the bike to do ( tri, park tracks etc) try a cyclo cross bike. you should be able to get an off the peg one on the cycle to work scheme as Kona, specialized and a few other makes do them.

add a pair of tri bars and some road tyres and it will be more than fine for a tri.

hope this helps
  • MarconMarcon Posts: 3
    Hi all, thanks for your advice.going to have a try out on some bikes the weekend hopefully.i like the look of the GIANT BOWERY 72 09 AND THE SPECIALIZED TRICROSS SPORT but looks arent everything right?
  • The Giant Bowery is a single speed isn't it?
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    simondo3333 wrote:
    The Giant Bowery is a single speed isn't it?
    Yup
  • I wouldnt get either, £650 for a single speed are you pissed!!!!!!!!

And Specialized are the turds of satan.........
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    There's a review of a group of bikes at the £800 mark in this month's cycling plus. That will give you a good idea of what is available at the price point, and what to look out for.

But, you want to spend as little as you can - in 6 months time you will either have given up, or know what bike you really want (and be spending £1500 on it).

So going second hand or a last years model discounted would be the best thing.
  • Marcon is using Cyclescheme which seems to have been lost in the thread. Buying second hand isn't an option, only at participating retailers on a new (or new sale bike).

The great thing about Cyclescheme is that if you need to upgrade to a better/more suitable bike then you can through the scheme again after 12 months or so, getting the same tax and NI relief.
  • MarconMarcon Posts: 3
    hi all thanks for replys again ( even the pissed one! like i said im new to this ). even though someone said they are turds of satan what about these 2 bikes: specialized secteur or sirrus elite? i can probably pick them up for around £280 which you gotta admit is ok which frees up money to buy a mtb for over the park with the kids,
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    If you can pick up a half decent road bike for £280 go for it! As previously posted in 12 mths you will either sack it - highly unlikely or (highly probable) will crave to sell your wife/girlfriend (or both), children, furniture, gold fillings etc to get the blingiest carbon on 2 wheels.