Home Chat General Chat

Energy bars whilst cycling?

Hello, I know this has been covered before, but I can't seem to find it with the search.....anyway, having spent a year eating goodness knows how many carrot cake clif bars, they now don't export that flavour to the UK (am very upset). I can't eat nuts (mildly rather than seriously allergic), so powerbars I think are out and goodness knows what to try now! I tried a SIS Go Bar, maybe a bit chewy and not sure I could manage more than 1 so at a but of a loss.

Can anyone point me in the direction of previous posts on this one, or remind me what I might be looking for in a bar?? How much protein and carbs am I ideally looking for? Any thoughts gratefully received!

Comments

• ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    May I humbly recommend Mule bars. Used them on the IM. Got 5 different flavours, chopped 'em all into six and got a random flavour every 10-15mins. You'll have to check for nuts though.

Alternatively make your own to get round the allergy. Get a basic flapjack recipe and add seeds and dried fruit and maybe a bit of whey protein or PSP22 or similar until you get something that works for you.

Ade
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    High5 berry and yoghurt are pretty good and not too chewy.
  • Thanks - I like the random idea, at least that will make it a bit more interesting! I'll give the High 5 and Mule a try.....
  • Doc ScoDoc Sco Posts: 38
    What about the new Powerbars? C2 Max Energise? 2 flavours, berry blast and Mango, they taste really good and work for me. Dont think there are any nuts in these bars, but check anyway.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i usually use trek and 9bars. i'm pretty sure the trek bars are an orgy of peanuts, but according to the 9bar i have here it says they contain traces of nuts. they are mostly seeds, bit of honey, and some carob (cocoa i think) topping.

i got mine in morrisons or sainsburys and they aren't too bad.
  • Thanks guys - looking forward to trying out suggestions! Best news ever though - friend of sisters has arrived back from Washington today with a couple of carrot cake clif bars for Monaco - was dreading having to chose a new product with just 2 weeks to go (and am dreading the race anyway as have only ever done one 70.3 before...) Top tip - always keep enough bars in reserve to get you through the next race as no telling when they will suddenly become unavailable! Anyway, many thanks and I will be munching my way through your ideas over the winter months as I worry about IM Switzerland next year. Happy training!