Home Chat General Chat

bike mirrors: safe or simply un-cool?

as i keep repeating it constantly most of the regulars here know by now that i am quite new to cycling

with this being cycling week in london, and willtri witnessing that incident at old st roundabout and all the accidents involving cyclists and blah blah blah in mind, i kind of considered that getting some mirrors for my hubrid while commuting (back and forth to the west end mostly) could be a good road safety precaution...

i hardly see anyone with mirrors on though...i know safety is paramount but looking like a dork is not a good look ....

what do you guys think ....how about if i check if they come in carbon...?

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    i've nothing against mirrors (helmet or bar mounted) - i can see the point of them, and plenty of times i've gone a bit wobbly when looking over my shoulder. personally, i think that a visible look with a head-turn is a good indicator to a motorist that you are thinking about a manouevre, particularly around junctions.

over time i've got less wobbly when looking as well, which means i feel happier about having a look back more often.

and they do look a bit 'middle aged audax rider' as well.
  • The more time you spend on the bike the better your bike handling skills will become. If you have good handling then I see no need for mirrors since you can comfortably look around to see what is going on behind you without any wobble, and as Ris says this also lets traffic behind know you are looking at them. Plus you can also get alot of information from your ears too.

That said, I think one of the most dangerous things on the road is cyclists who wobble and weave unpredictably. I very much doubt you (or anyone else on this site) are in this worst category of offendors, but if your bike handling skills are still improving I see no reason why a mirror wouldn't be a good idea. Safety first and all that...

For me, since I don't know of any aero-mirrors I think I'll give them a miss!!

p.s. looking round isn't a foolproof solution... a friend of mine was cycling along in traffic with some Tw*T in a van right up on his tail, he looked round to make sure it was safe to manovour and as he did so the car in front stopped suddenly (i think avoiding a pedestrian) and he clattered into the back. what we all really need is eyes in the backs of our heads, or maybe just car free roads?!
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Can't see me getting on with mirrors - not sure looking in a little mirror would help - personally a quick flick look behind seems to do the trick.

I've started riding with flashing front and back lights even in daytime. I used to ride my motorbike with lights on all the time as well.

Safety wise i think the biggest thing i learnt this week was not to ride up the left hand side of cars. (just far too easy for them to turn left without thinking - as long as there's traffic coming in the other direction can be pretty sure that they won't be turning right.... possibly.

Or i might move to somewhere nice and quiet....like france!!
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Theres definately no substitute for turning your head - the problem with mirrors would be that theres limited visibility and range, a car could very easily be approaching you just out of view in. I can see the use but I'm not convinced of effectiveness.

I'd go with the previous post to say that spending money on high vis clothing would be better.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Theres definately no substitute for turning your head - the problem with mirrors would be that theres limited visibility and range, a car could very easily be approaching you just out of view in. I can see the use but I'm not convinced of effectiveness.

I'd go with the previous post to say that spending money on high vis clothing would be better.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Neither safe or uncool,

they are unsafe!

You _have_ to be able to see all around you, you have to do this all the time!
  • Neither safe or uncool,
    but they are cool?????
  • sportevesporteve Posts: 141
    ..you want a pair dont you ewan? c'mon admit it ..you do!
    i found a brilliant style that will look just fab on your helmet!!!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bla ... r-ec006158

on a more serious note i think we have to admit that they look pretty naff - the only way they could look 'cute' would be on a pashley with a basket at the front (baguette and cheese optional) on some french countryside road....
  • you want a pair dont you ewan?
    A pair?? one for each of my chameleon eyes?? I'd look like some kind of monsterous lycra clad insect...

While we are on the topic of safety can everyone please remember to make sure their tri bikes are fully equipped with bells so that other competitiors will know when they are being overtaken?
  • Mirrors???................

ON A BIKE?????!!!!!!!!!

our survey says...................
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    Firestarter wrote:
    Mirrors???................

ON A BIKE?????!!!!!!!!!

our survey says...................

Cruel but true ........
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Even when driving in my car I do a right flick look over my shoulder, there are times when someone riding a 'donor cycle' has plonked themselves very nicely in a blind spot - what is it about middle age blokes who buy 1,000cc Yamahas and think that they can ride like tw##s?