Home Chat General Chat

quick release for Turbo Trainer

hiya,

THis should be easy but....

How do i buy a quick release for a turbo trainer???

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Tacx_ ... 360010556/

Will the above fit any reat wheel????

Cheers

Tried to use the one that came wth my trek 1.5 and i didn't last long!!

Comments

• jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Yes it will fit your trek 1.5. If you have a tacx trainer it will fit in that too, can't be certain it will fit other trainers.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    doh - i should have said - i've got a Gist trainer.

So it fits the bike - does it fit the trainer?!?!?
    Bought it on ebay and it didn't come with one

What i meant about the trek one is that i clamped the bike onto the turbo but the quick release lever is curved so doesn't fit into the clamp of the turbo and slips out...

Will any old turbo skewer do the job?
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    The standard skewer (Shimano one I think) on my bike fits my turbo BUT the nut end is not the same shape as the recess it fits into on the turbo. This meant when I did the out of saddle bits in spinervals sessions the bike wobbled about. The TACX and Cycleops skewers both look the same to me, so it is probably a pretty universal design. You can get one for less than £6 from a few shops (Google shopping "Tacx Skewer"), can't really go wrong at that price.
    Cheers guys
  • Neither the skewer on my road nor my tri bike fit in my turbo so I use the one that came with my (Minoura) turbo.

Skewers come in two broad types, "closed cam" and "open cam". Sheldon Brown has an article about the differences between the two types here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html . Despite SB's assertion that open cam are flimsey and dangerous they are also lighter and therefore the norm... search for bike skewers on wiggle and I think the Tacx skewer will be the only closed cam skewer there.

Anyway... It is my BELIEF that most trainers are designed to fit with closed cam skewers. I have no idea why this is, but might be something to do with the wide variety of shapes and sizes of the open cam designs (again look at wiggle). I suspect that any closed cam skewer will fit your turbo, and I believe that most skewers are a standardised size and will fit your bike. I have never had any troubles swapping around between skewers.
    Tacx skewer on order!