Home Chat General Chat

What Tri Bars???

Hi there, I'm looking to get my first set of clip on tri bars. I've read that the Oval Concepts A710 Clip-On TT Bar are good because of the versatility and price.

Any comments would be greatly received

Comments

• Any suggestions??
  • apana790apana790 Posts: 76
    That depends on what you're looking for really. What's your budget, and how much adjustment you might want. Have a look around on wiggle or any other cycling/tri web store and get what suits you best. Although Profile tribars seem to be very popular
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Further to Conehead's post have a look at this:
    http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/sbend.shtml

Again as Conehead says, just slapping aerobars onto a road bike can be counterproductive, have a look at this:
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... kefit.html
  • Cheers guys, all good advise
    Zacnici - I've looked at the articles, and now have mixed feelings. I primarily wanted Aero bars for comfort over long distances, but wanted to gain the aerodynamic benefits. I just wonder if it is worth it with the changes in angles that I'll have to make to my bike?? Is putting Aerobars on a roadbike, counter productive

How easy is it to set up your bike, and aerobars??

Conehead - No worries about the weekend, I'll let you know how I get on with the bars!

I was brought up in Cheadle, Moseley Rd, just near the college.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Firefightergaz, sorry for tardy response.

Aero bars are primarily for the aero advantage which is actually more significant for mere mortals like ourselves than for the elites. Yes there is the comfort factor in that the bars are there to support the body as well and not to grip onto otherwise you then engage all sorts of muscles needlessly. But the bike needs to be set up properly. IMHO when properly set up it is more comfortable than supporting the upper body through the wrists as with a road bike.

IMHO a triathlon bike setup is the optimum for triathlon - bit obvious really - and that a road bike with bars by necessity is a compromise - it is not counterproductive unless the bike has not been set up properly.

If you just slap bars on you are in danger of extending the back to an uncomfortable/damaging degree, throwing your centre of gravity out and hence the handling and reducing power output to an an extent that more than negates the aero advantage.

Your last comment I presume was for Conehead, I was brought up in Old Trafford, lived in Shaw for some time and now live in Lincoln, nice enough place but miss the hills.