Home Chat General Chat

Glucosamine

I know this is supposed to be really good for joint pain and so on - certainly works for my mum's dog and she swears by it for herself as well. I was thinking about it for helping my back pain.

Does anyone here have any experience with it?

I know that there have been concerns about its immunosuppressant properties and that it has been linked to the development of diabetes in rats after long term exposure (of course one can't be sure what 'long-term' means for a rat or how much the poor before were given even before one starts debating the applicability of animal studies to human medicine - let's not go there)

Thanks VAM

Comments

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    I take a combined glucosamine & chondroitin tablet (from boots) i take it regularly and haven't found any side effects - in fact i think my immune system is better now thatn it has been for years (but i think that being fitter and eating better is the reason for that). I have found that it helps minimise the oint aches i used to get after running. I now find anything up to about 12 miles i get no aches at all whereas before i took it anything over 5 imles would have my knees aching. Seems to work for me is what i'm getting at.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    my mum swears by it - and everyone knows that parents are always right
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    It may or may not work - those no decent studies one way or the other. The advice that the Mrs had from her rheumatologist was that it wouldn't do any harm to take it, and might do some good!

For dogs, taking too much of it can lead to liver problems. But my little pooch has it as a supplement and in his feed.

The Missus has a "therapeutic" dose (anything less than these concentrations isn't really worth taking, she tells me!). She has Super Flex-3 triple strength - Glucosamine 1500mg, chondroitin 1200mg, msm 250mg.

She gets it from agestop.net which seems both good value and reliable.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Cycling weekly had a small report saying that it was better to take a separate dose of glucosamine and chondroitine rather than a combined tablet.Taking the glucosime in the am and the chondroitine in the pm.the results were better.
    My faithful training partner started to get rheumatism/arthrits in her back legs and we found that a magnetic collar worked wonders. www.bioflow.com
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    Yep Jake had one of those collars they're brilliant (the human version isn't too bad either ) but eventually that stopped working for him - he is now 17 and just about holding on cheerfully provided he gets his food, little walk and warm bed.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    I've been using magnatherapy for about 13 years now,and would recommend it in a heartbeat.Sadly My training partner went to the happy hunting ground just over a year ago,but for the last couple of years she had an awesome set of wheels to help her get about,more expensive than my first tri bike,brilliant,the things we do.....oh off topic slightly.
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    it will take a while to work as joints are very low blood flow. I use the zipvit glucosamine and chondroitin - i dont need it, but planning ahead for the future!