Home Chat General Chat

Weight Training - Loon?

Loon,

I've been weight training regularly for about 18 months now and have mostly succeeded in my goals. Originally it was to lose fat, now I've bulked up a bit, assisted by eating more which is something I need to cut down.

My workout was therefore geared towards building muscle or retaining it as I lost body fat. Basically 1-3 sets with 8-12 reps.

How have you found the weight training workouts that you are following from the Triathletes Bible. I see it focusses on higher reps to train the muscles for endurance. Has this also built muscle or burnt fat?

I want to change my workouts to suit the sport i'm training for rather than to just build muscle. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Wella

Comments

• steveosteveo Posts: 69
    after years of playing rugby and only doing muscle building weights i stopped and started training fro tri.

i have found it difficult to change slow twitch power muscles into fast twitch endurance muscels.

from what i have been told low weight s high reps is the right way to go if you happy to lose your stature. i do not want to lose any of my size or bulk and so i am trying to walk teh tightrope but eventually i think i am going to have to make that choice between high weight ow reps or vice versa.
  • WellaWella Posts: 188
    Hi Steve,

I'm at a similar point. A lot of effort has gone into weight training in the past and I don't want to lose it all, I'm still playing rugby and need some of the bulk.

Like you, I'm going to have to decide one way or another as I'm not sure there is a happy medium on this one. Bulking and tri training doesn't seem to fit.

Wella
  • steveosteveo Posts: 69
    it killed me at london last year, 17 and a half stone to drag around in that heat was not enjoyable.

i am pretty much at the end of my playing career and have spent far too much money on the tri's not to give it a good shot.

i think i know which way i am going to go although i refuse to ever be light than 16 stone as i would look really ill.
  • WellaWella Posts: 188
    Blimey, I would also look ill at 16st but for different reasons. I was our teams lightest forward last season at just over 12 stone. Currently at 13st which is a good weight for me although a little too much fat for my liking.

I think I may give the triathlon weights routine a go for a month and see what happens. I'll work on it and post it up for comments.

Wella
  • Wella Hi,

Its a decent program I think mainly aimed at building strength (at least that is what I have found) in the main triathlon muscle groups..

The program as such is supposed to be in conjunction with the phases of the training year rather than a winter activity which is how I am using it..

The program does start of with hi reps low weight in all activities but in some exercises these drop reps and increase weight to build strength in these areas.. I guess its buiilding muscle in that case rather than burning fat..

I am about 1/2way through and have noticed a difference - the progressive nature has been a big help..