Home Chat General Chat

Boredom is killing me...

BexHBexH Posts: 226
What have any of you guys done in lieu of missed training due to injury? I've got a disc injury at the mo and the osteo reckons it's going to be about another 3 weeks until I can do stuff again properly. It's driving me nuts as (sad as I may be) a lot of my life is based around meeting mates to train etc and instead I am ending up inevitably going to the pub or similar for want of something better to do with my evenings. I'm at the point where I can start using the gym bike and maybe have easy swims and monitor the swelling in the disc (lower back) but to get to the point has anyone else had similar probs and are there any core exercises that won't aggravate the lower back or anything in general that will help me to not slide towards lardarse obscurity?! Thanks

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Any opportunites for cross training?

TODO List:

1) Post like anything on the forum.
    2) Read something inspirational - I found cycling weekly was a great read, especially when the tour is on
    3) Watch some events on TV/Internet
    4) Get a book on training - or some aspect that you do not know about. Where do you want to make improvements? Set some performance goals - e.g. run 5K in x minutes if running is your weakest area
    5) Work out a plan for what you are going to do when you get better.
    6) In your case I believe you had an accident, rather than a sport related injury, but in the general case, you would also plan on what changes to prevent the injury from re-occuring.
    7) Create an account for osc on facebook and see how many friends you can get.
    8) Eat chocolate

Don't fret about gaining a bit of weight, loosing a bit of condition. I put on nearly a stone while out of action! And have had a minute knocked off my mile pace.

Good luck and a speedy recovery
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    bex, I'd say do 30min of pilates moves which are very low intensity, and ones which dont focus on the back. I reckon it would help strengthen the whole area a lot more too and help speed recovery a lot. Hope you sort it out.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Volunteer for your local tri events - that is sure to keep the motivation up - and I second Pilates
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    A good link with a local bike/running shop is priceless for enthusiasm if theyve got the right people working there.... potentially expensive but really good motivation for getting back up to pace
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    hmmm i drank beer and played on the xbox and shopped for future kit
  • get yourself down to bridgtown.......
  • I'd go with rest, reading and some chocolate. Get well soon!
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Right cheers for the input guys. I will see if I can give Pilates a crack this week and maybe with some slow short swims and the same on the gym bike I won't go entirely mental. I'm not good at just staying in the house as am quite a sociable creature so if all else fails it's going to be a variety of pub and spa sessions!
  • Take the time to review your training thus far. Read the Joe Friel books (even if you've read them ten times already), plan the coming year, think up some new sessions that'll build fitness in interesting ways.

If that fails, surf the wiggle site and dream.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Just taken my own advice and voulunteered for a small local event.

Good Karma giving back - chatted with to newbies, gave some advice - now appreciate volunteeers more (not that I didn't before - always said thank you wherever possible)
  • what can you do?

old coach used to say "dont tell me what you can do tell me what you can do"

maybe some isolation exercises to the calfs arms etc try not to aggrivate the injury. maybe read some books, play me at chess on chess.com, anything to keep sane!