Home Chat General Chat

Bike Wheels

I love my bike-having started to put in some serious miles recently (training for IM Austria next year) I've become very close to her (a bit closer on some rides than I'd like-but no pain no gain etc). My question is on the often asked question-where best to upgrade, the answer of which is almost always the wheels-but what would be a noticeable upgrade for a set of Fulcrum Racing 7s that I have on the bike at the moment? The 220 Tri triathlon essentials has a set of £900 wheels at the "budget end" of the scale-do I realy need to spend that much to get a noticeable improvement-or would the Planet X Carbon 50s at £400 give me a noticeable difference in performance.

I've not got £400 or £900 to spend on tyres at the moment-but if I'm to start saving it would be good to have a figure in mind-or even an idea of what performance I could expect to see for a given type of wheel and I could start searching the second hand pages of the forums.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• han382 wrote:
    The 220 Tri triathlon essentials has a set of £900 wheels at the "budget end" of the scale-do I realy need to spend that much to get a noticeable improvement-or would the Planet X Carbon 50s at £400 give me a noticeable difference in performance.

Any advice appreciated.
    Thats because 220 are obliged to say that due to advertising etc.........there is hardly any credibility in their tests TBH. Their testers are OK but the editors a buffoon.......Magazine tests are contrived due to links and assosiations with companys.

No you dont have to spend £1000 on wheels, spend it on coaching, it'll make you quicker.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    900 certainly aint budget!! Ignore 220 and head to a bike shop that has someone that knows what they are talking about
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    I would personally be inclined to say that if the fulcrums are ok for training then maybe something with a slight aero profile as racing wheels - but then this depends on what sort of riding you see yourself doing (head down aero TT style or hammering the miles on a roadie).
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Having spoken to Mike @ Bridgetown on this subject when i was looking for new wheels he said the cheaper carbon wheels tend to be heavy and unless you can really hit the big speeds may not give you the benefit you desire. He also reconed you'd need to spending probably around the £900 level for a decent set.

For what i wanted - light and aero he suggested these £450.

http://www.eurobike.uk.com/details.aspx?p=124

Have beaten all by bike bests this year on them.

See what the others recommend and speak to a LBS tell them what you want and your budget and see what they suggest
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Try Fast Forward wheels, I am sponsored by them and I think they are fantastic wheels and are reasonably priced too.

have a look here:

www.ffwdwheels.com

If you go through their website directly then mention I sent you :0) (jason Walkley) speak to Roland Ten Brinke, he is the general manager! He may do you a good deal.
  • han382han382 Posts: 80
    Thanks everyone-exactly what I was after-some sound advise and a few pointers for me to look into. Cheers!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    On the topic of 220.. I get somewhat annoyed at their testing and price ranges. In the current days of people losing their jobs/ struggling for cash etc they still insist on listing equipment as "budget" when in fact the amounts they are talking about could buy you a small car.

I think 220 needs to have a reality check, yes we like to uber bling stuff but most of us 1. can't afford and 2. are not good enough to get the best from it.

Whats the point in buying wheels where you need to be hitting big speeds to get the benefit when most of us can't get those speeds v. often???

I would rather see more in depth advice than the generic crap you get at the mo
  • shadowone1 wrote:
    On the topic of 220.. blah blah blah..
    If your that fussed cut and paste that post and send it to 220 themselves, if more people did maybe they'd up their game...............I very much doubt it though
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    As we are still bleating on about it and its been like that for a while, why would they listen?
    People will buy the mag regardless.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-15505311.html

Report on which wheels are most aero. The American Classics hold up quite well against the carbon brigade.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    The AM 320s are awfully tempting although they have attracted a lot of flak in the past for flexing if you are heavier than about 70Kgs or so;
    http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheel ... 90crx.aspx

Having said that I have read that the 2009 range has cured/significantly reduced this problem, in any case if you weigh 65Kgs or less then they do seem to do the business from what I have read and GHarvs excellent posting makes very interesting reading.
  • I run American Classic Hurricance on my bike ( training wheels) and I have to admit to me being very impressed with them.

Bomb proof, light and rigid, spin up fast and look good, especially the hubs.

I don't know about the other models in the range but I think mine do a great job.

Recommended, chosen and fitted by a bloke in a shop WINK WINK( but if I mention it I'll get shot down in flames and told i'm on the payroll for said business)
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Further to my last post, yeah it seems like the criticsms were of the earlier models and flex seems now only to be an issue if you are 'large' and are doing a stand up up vein popping effort.

Very tempting I must say