Home Chat General Chat

To buy or not to buy - Giant Defy vs Kuota Kharma

A friend of mine has £1100 to spend and got an offer for either a Giant Defy Advanced 4 or a Kuota Kharma, both 2009 models with similar componentry.

Which one to go for?

Comments

• Kharma all day long for me, its very pleasing on the eye

but check if its the 09 model it will have a cut away in front of rear wheel
  • Why those two? If I had £1100 I wouldn't buy either!
  • What would you go for then,

The knarma is full carbon with shimano 105

surely there isnt alot better out there for that pirce.

Uless you know something i dont of course, enlighten me.
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    Planet X are currently doing SL Pro Carbon with full Ultegra SL for £999.
  • Well they are SORT OFF, its limited to 30 bikes and comes in bits, it will cost you £ 100 for assembly.

On top of that, when you try to buy it which ive just done, it says the stem is out of stock so you cant order it
    , which for the uninitiated means is a sales gimmic to get you tochange the stem for one that will cost more money.

NEXT.

heres the link in case you want to check it out for yourself.
    http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... ra_SL.html
  • Oh sorry and the £ 25 pound shipping.
  • Jelly legs wrote:
    The knarma is full carbon with shimano 105
    So?! That dosnt mean its any good......would you buy any bike that was carbon and had a mediocre groupset?

I would definately (unless you are tied to either of these bikes) have a look at Planet X or Focus (wiggle)
    both these companys carbon frames are excellent, I have ridden both PX and the Cayo the PX carbon frame suited me more and was a tad more comfy over 100 mile+ rides, both use good quality carbon fibre and have numerous (unbias!! unlike 220) reviews by respected test riders.

Just my opinion........
  • Jelly legs wrote:

On top of that, when you try to buy it which ive just done, it says the stem is out of stock so you cant order it
    , which for the uninitiated means is a sales gimmic to get you tochange the stem for one that will cost more money.

NEXT.
    I take it you are uninitiated then? Have you tried contacting Planet X.......................................

No, thought not, so to coin a phrase...............NEXT!!!
  • Dude the guy came on asking a very simple question.

Which bike out of these two would you buy.

As is nearly always the case on here someone came on and said i wouldnt buy any of those.

Without giving any reason why or giving him more choices.

Its 10pm in la la land, you think that planet x are open now, the focus cayo also comes with the same mediocre 105 groupset as you put it as does nearly every bike in this prices range.

But as for the OP original question, if i have the choice as i said i'd go for the Kharma, reasons why if you need the exact reason is because its a new design for 2009, and its bloody good value if he can indeed get it for 1100 thats about 600 off the rrp.
  • Jelly legs wrote:
    Dude the guy came on asking a very simple question.
    To which I gave a simple answer.
    Jelly legs wrote:
    the focus cayo also comes with the same mediocre 105 groupset as you put it as does nearly every bike in this prices range.
    Correct, but some of the frames that this grouppo is attached to are utter shite!! The cayo and PX are not, Ive ridden them you obviously havn't.......
    Jelly legs wrote:

reasons why if you need the exact reason
    That would be nice.............yawn!
    Jelly legs wrote:
    is because its a new design for 2009
    OOOOHHH, thats a good reason.....
    Jelly legs wrote:
    and its bloody good value
    No its not......there are far better bikes for that money