Home Chat General Chat

swimming with or without legs that is the question!

i'm currently trauling the open water, knocking up between 2km and 3km, i'd say i'm a pretty competent, but i only use my arms which isn't a problem but as for the legs they just sort off flounder, i don't use them at all!
how much more would i gain if i started using my legs?
i've done quite a bit of leg work with a float but i'm painfully slow. is it better just to knock it on the head and be happy with what i've got?
and when i introduce my legs with my arms, it feels like it slows me down
any thoughts? many thanks

Comments

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    I'm no swim coach so usual caveats apply! the following is based on what I have gleaned in my short tri career, including words from the great Rick Kiddle.

Don't sweat the kick. 2 Km (or 4Km) is a blinking long way to look to power a kick and have any energy left for the bike afterwards. Look to use a gentle kick enough to help the body roll... don;t worry about propulsion. DO try and improve your leg alignment though... kick from the hip and try to touch your toes as they pass. Point your toes so as not to create a brake in the water.

Somebody who knows what they are on about will come by soon and pout us both right!!

didds
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    In my experience, the main problem with not kicking is body position!

If you can wear a wetsuit, then I think kicking isn't so important, you're better off saving your legs for the bike and using all that nice O2 for your arms and shoulders, the legs aren't efficient in the water anyway.
    The wetsuit makes you sit nice and flat in the water.

If you get used to swimming without legs, and you find yourself in an event with a wetsuit ban, then can be in trouble. You need to kick to keep your legs afloat.

I have time problem, I'm way faster ina wetsuit. I have friends who can beat me in the pool, but not in the wetsuit.
    I do a fair share of my training with a pull buoy, but I always do kick sets and sets with legs too.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I don't kick much either which is trained because when i started i had a crazy wild ott kick which killed me over any distance more than about 200m So i have taught myself not to kick much, i find that my body position tends to be ok and i kick maybe every other stroke to help my body position but I am very slow(maybe i should kick more?). I don't find that i have too much trouble with sinking legs etc but i guess that it is due to the amount of time i have spent doing it means i can keep a quite high body position without a wetsuit/pull buoy.

I don't know if that help at all but...
  • Just to add...if you don't use your legs much during the main swim you should consider kicking quite hard for the last 100m or so to get the blood moving again. It can be a bit embarrasing when you hit the beach, stand up and fall over !
  • Biggles wrote:
    Just to add...if you don't use your legs much during the main swim you should consider kicking quite hard for the last 100m or so to get the blood moving again. It can be a bit embarrasing when you hit the beach, stand up and fall over !
    + 1!

I just kick to help my body roll
  • I'm much the same, all arms and no legs, other than for balance. Back in the pool though, and the legs need to come back into play.
  • DavidHDavidH Posts: 47
    I think it's quite important to have a good kick.
    Not necessarily for propulsion, but body positioning.
    The best swimmers are the best kickers....as several coaches keep telling me.
    if you don't swim with a club, i'd always try and throw in some kicking sets to your swim.
    Also, if you can, try doing a pulling set with a band (legs strapped together so you can't kick) and no float. you will see how important your legs actually are.