Home Chat General Chat

spam

no not the kind you eat but the incestous postings about getting laid every night or to unlock this phone, that phone or anything else along those lines appears to be creeping back into the forum again.

Can I just ask people to PM me if they notice it. Also alert it as spam. If you PM me I'll be on the case straightaway and I'll ban the IP address as well.

Cheers

S11

Comments

• Will do Shadowone1, keep up the good work.
  • no not the kind you eat but the incestous postings about getting laid every night
    Can I just ask people to PM me if they notice it. Also alert it as spam. If you PM me I'll be on the case straightaway and I'll ban the IP address as well.
    Lets not be too hasty now.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Spartacus,

I'll treat that with the contempt it deserves. Mate. Sorry but a year ago this forum was heaving with spam. Then the change over and still spam.

If they're selling shit that no-one wants then its getting deleted and IP banned. Simples.
  • I'll treat that with the contempt it deserves
    Or, you could lighten up and have a laugh, as was intended.
    so jet me get this right, you want this forum loaded with spam so you can have a laugh!? clearly you don't appreciate how bad this forum was. stp2 anyone?
  • Shakes head and takes a deep breath.

Ok one last go.

Re read my original post.

These are the important bits.

"Get laid every night"

"Delete this spam"

"Lets not be too hasty"
  • Not wanting to ignore your obvious attempt at humour, I can understand the Green one's frustrations. Not too long ago these boards were full of spam. Now, there is very little, and I reckon that can only be a good thing for us all.

I'm sure I would get frustrated too if I was the guy responsible for moderating a forum like this - most users are pretty friendly and helpful, especially when compared to one particular tri forum (IMHO), but it must be a pain in the arse having to waste your time deleting stuff that has no business being posted in the first place.

Now what we really need is decent search functionality. I've just tried searching for a 'turbo training' thread to dig out some ideas for winter workouts to be told the term has been excluded from the search because it is too common! I read that as 'we have loads of stuff on this subject but we're not going to tell you where it is! Na na na na na.'

Grrrrrrrrrr.

FK
    Spartacus,

I know you were being humorous but this with all intents wasn't a thread that really warranted to be derailed. I spent quite abit of my own time tidying this forum up not so long ago and recently there has been a few spammers coming back. I then have to delete the thread (sometimes I leave it up cause they're funny) and then block the IP address. Quite time consuming.

There's a post on the poll thread thats a bloody good example. Some dick posting about Noke N96 and how its unlocked, then some weirdo posting "yeah its a great phone, anyone got the master code".... Fuck off spammers, this is a tri web-site forum.

This may sound harsh but last year this forum was riddled with spammers and I partly blame that on the forums demise. No treefrog, no benny, and the list continues. I'lll do everything I can to keep this forum free of spam.

We may have crossed wires mate and if we do then I apologise.
  • DanDan Posts: 8
    I greatly sympathise with this one on you mate. The problem stems from the fact that this forum is run on phpBB and although it is a very good forum engine, as it's such a well known system it's great for bots to spam as they can program one script to target any phpBB website. Have you thought about installing CAPTCHA or some other anti bot system on the registration page? I guess this would solve many of your problems..
  • Sorry to go off-thread a bit, no problem with your spam policy but just wanted to agree with one of the previous posts - the search functionality just rejects any sort of interesting search word like 'turbo trainer' , 'TT bike', etc as being too common. You can get it to work it you pick very specific words but this kind of defeats the purpose if you're looking for general guidance on a subject that may have been discussed in length you're probably not going to find it. I realise that this isn't an easy problem to solve and you have probably heard it before but always worth saying it again.
    Ok,

I'm not a 220 employee so with regards to the search function. Several people, inc myself have emailed James Witts about it. I would suggest more people contact him regarding it as he the bloody editor after all.

Dan,

Thanks for your appreciation. At last someone who realises where I'm coming from!! Again I log on this morning and some t@sser is posting about his cd writer or something not working. Deleted straight away.
    We went through a period of no spam and now its back, thats why I posted for people to PM so that I would know asap.

Anyhow, better do some work.

Cheers peeps.

s11
  • Shadowone1

I'm glad we got that misunderstanding sorted out. I detest spam as much as the next man and for you to do what you do in your own time, is admirable. I can understand your frustration.
  • Shadowone1, having been on this forum for while now, I know how much it has improved, and how much more enjoyable it is to use since you've been given Adminstrator rights, and the amount of spam has significantly reduced, and anything that does get through, gets deleted almost immediately.

As to the Search functionality, it would be nice of it worked, but I know it's something that has been persued with the uper eschelons, but with no success. I think we just have to live with the forum an no search functionality. Just means that some questions will get asked again, which isn't a bad thing, as second or third time around we might even get a good answer.

Keep up the good work, I know I appreicate what you are doing.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    TRIumphant wrote:
    I think we just have to live with the forum an no search functionality.
    I disagree - we need to keep kicking their arses until it's sorted....
    I'm with you Will.... too much useful info in the past is now going to waste.

Yes its good for the new boys, but I still like to refresh my memory on certain things as well.
  • this board isnt made by the staff at 220, its made by another company, they probably dont know why the search isnt working. I'd guess they've probably put some settings on that isnt compatiable with their hosting??