Home Chat General Chat

Spin Classes

I've never been to any of these classes, but I was speaking to someone who highly recommended them. I was thinking of using them to help stay 'bike fit' over the winter - does anyone have any experience or advice?

Comments

• Fantastic things. I do 5-6 spin classes as week, as part of my cycle training,and have been for the last 6 or so years. I don't seem to get much time during the week to actually go out on the bike, so Spinning is really the only form of cycle training I actuallyget to do. So far its got me through sprints, OD and HIM distance races. Bike handling skills have to come from MTB'ing and the odd commuting.

Generally, they are excellent classes. Considering you're riding abike that doesn;t go anywhere, it's amaxing the the calories you can burn, the HR's you can achieve, and how much sweat you can produce. I normally go striaght from the spin class stright into the shower fully dressed, and wash the kit as I'm getting unchanged.

Only real downsides are if the Instructor is poor, then the class isn't much fun, and it all around you aren't really up for it, then it makes it a struggle. But get a good instructor, and surrounded by enthusiatics colleagues and the 30/45/60 minutes just fly by.

Got to be aware though that Spinning is a trade name, what you also get is aerbiking, studio spin, RPM, cardio spin. All got slightly different aproaches, somemore structured than others, and some you work to the beat of the music. But well worth a go, and it will keep you bike fitness over the winter.
  • go for it but be patient with the women in makeup and designer kit not making an effort. Seriously its good and you work to what effort you want to put in. I have done a few and loved beasting myself but you want to grip the others if they are not making an effort (or is that just me?)
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I don't mind them not trying. It's the ones who do the whole thing on the lowest setting and then look smugly around as if to say 'this is easy, look at you all sweaty'. Those people i want to punch in the face. Hard.

RPM classes can be good for brick sessions as you can leg it out and on to the tread mill. Just make sure you clear it with the instructor and that you wipe your bike down first.
  • spinning is fun and a good way of keeping fit over the winter month, not as good as using the turbo. But a good laugh as it not you against the machine.

We tried to have one spin section a week as the tri club, for the first two weeks a few other people joined in but after that they didn't come as they thought it was to hard. It ended up being the tri club and a guy from the local cycle club.

Better than getting cold and wet on a winter evening
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    pacman2102 wrote:
    spinning is fun and a good way of keeping fit over the winter month, not as good as using the turbo.
    Why do you say not as good as the turbo?
  • CCSCCS Posts: 53
    TRIumphant wrote:
    I do 5-6 spin classes as week
    Blimey - you do more in spin classes that I do in total training!!!
  • I do back-to-back classess a couple of times a week, that way I get the benefit of harder and longer classes. Warm up and cool dwon times eat into this, but it seems to work for me.
  • It's the ones who do the whole thing on the lowest setting and then look smugly around as if to say 'this is easy, look at you all sweaty'.
    Sooo true! All the bikes should be linked to a gigantic, live electronic league table based on distance covered that's fills the whole of the front wall. That'll show the smug, non-sweaty ones!

Another pet hate are those people who attend the class and then just cycle along willy-nilly with headphones in, just doing their own thing. I have enough problem following the instructions when everyone around me is doing the same thing let alone when some guy alongside is having a bit of a jolly.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I do 2 spin sessions - Steve our instructor is really good, a cyclist himself. He doesn't mind me doing my own thing i.e. tucked in aero for 45 mins only standing up when the climbs drop below 40 rpm. But yes Spin has my vote. I also skip cool down, hop off bike, leave shoes on pedals as they have SPD, slip on running shoes and bat out a quick 2.5 - 5km run so I get a brick session in as well.
  • 45CDO45CDO Posts: 44
    Thanks for all the responses - I'll certainly give them a go.