Home Chat General Chat

IM 70.3 Advice Required

Hello All,

I'm doing the swiss 70.3 in June 2010, it's my first time and was hoping someone could answer the questions below.

1. Getting there with equipment, how easy is it to transport your bike are the airlines happy enough to take them and are the charges excessive?
2. Does anyone know of a reasonable hotel near the event?
3. Do you need a race license to compete?
4. Any other advice would also be greatly appreciated

Comments

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    in my limited knowledge..

1. Getting there with equipment, how easy is it to transport your bike are the airlines happy enough to take them and are the charges excessive?

most airlines will transport bikes ... BUT...

* the no frills guys are fairly expensive and there are plenty of horror stories about being fleeced for more when on the return leg despite you being able to produce conditions of carriage and receipts etc.

* other carriers charge more but may be less hassle

*BA (amongst possibly others) include bikes in their fairly generous allowances (23 Kg within europe IIRC). So if you have one bike bag/box and two carry on hand luggage items for the rest of your gear (wetsuit etc) you are in the clear (and if your bike box conforms to their max measurements of course). If you are not travelling alone you should be fine; I'm on my own to Vienna in may now and it will be interesting what i will end up wearing when not racing!

3. Do you need a race license to compete?

The race T&Cs should outline this.

didds
  • DanteDante Posts: 22
    Hi there,

I did the Swiss half this year - amazing event - you'll love it.

There were five of us doing it so we hired a chalet out in the hills - the only downside to this was getting into Rapperswil on the Saturday and Sunday was terrible traffic. This led to some panicking about bike racking times etc. Probably best to stay in Rapperswil as then you wont need a car and can walk around all the main areas and to and from the expo. Anywhere in walking distance from the Zoo...

We flew with easy jet to zurich - all bikes arrived no problem - i think they only allow a limited number of bikes per flight (less than 10), it's about £30 return for your bike - first come first served. Rapperswil is about 40 mins from the airport.

You dont need a race licence.

Ask away any other questions.

Dan
  • You will find it unfeasably difficult to find any accomadation in the vicinity of an Ironman over race weekend. Most hotels will have deals with clubs and companys who buy out a number of rooms annually over that period.

I would try Nirvana Europe if I were you, they have an arrangment with a very good hotel in Rapperswil, Hotel Speer. I have stayed in this hotel twice before and it is superb and only a 5-10 minute saunter to the Expo and transition. They are very accomadating for triathletes, looking after any request you may have. Also they do an early (0500 I think) breakfast for you on race morning which has everthing from full english to as much porridge as you can eat.

You may have to pay slightly over the odds if you go with Nirvana Europe but you will get all airport transfers, flights, bike transportation, a bus tour (on sat a.m) around the bike course included and most importantly a hotel very close to the start line.

The guys who run it are very experienced and I couldnt reccommend them enough.
  • Many Thanks for the responses, time to start planning