Home Chat General Chat

HRM's are great...

Whilst i'm on the subject of HRM - i've really started to enjoying using one now - particularly running.

I've in the past basically run up hills as quick as i can (getting HR nice and high) and then get to the top and then whilst recovering let my HR drop really low.

So i've started to try and run at a steady pace - HR @ 152-162 - and what i've found is that i'm still going up the hills at the same pace but when i get to the flat or down hill - i'm flying (for me anyway!! ) - going so much faster than previous. the leg turnover has to really pick it up to get the HR to 152.

I've no idea if that's the best way to train/race but it seems to be working for me.

Anyone got any advice / tips on how to use them...

Comments

• Sounds to me like the improvement might be a result of doing the hill intervals, thats pretty good training for run or bike. Seen massive improvements in my 20K bike from doing intense hill intervals with different HR zones at various gradients. The gain is from doing the speed work but requires less effort I guess at constant pace.

I'm loving my HRM too - less so for data whilst I'm training other than an indication if I'm pushing too hard but more for seeing what I've done each session/week/month.

Need to do some run speed work myslef so going to incorporate some fartlek for next couple of weeks to see what gains I get from that. Still experimenting with training structure: Husslers hardcore brick workout features consistently though!!

I've struggled to find one single source of useful HR training guidance but pieced together bits and pieces from internet. I tend to do HR intervals (like I mention for bike) and go in and out of aerobic/anaeorobic zones. There is a book available (can't remember what its called) which is a HR bible allegedly... it was £80 last time I looked and not a recent publication.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    I'm ambivalent about mine, I prefer going by PRE. However I'm going to give mine a try in a race on Sunday - just for the run.

In previous races I think I've not pushed myself enough on the run, I've let the fact that I'm tired from the swim and bike slow my run down more than is necessary. Using the HRM in training means I know how high a HR I can sustain over a long period. Hopefully on Sunday this will persuade me I can run faster than I think I can!