Home Chat General Chat

have a bad day....

Was out doing the 50 mile sportive today. Everything was going fine until the penny dropped that I missed my turn. Ended up doing 90 mile instead. Took me flamming 6 1/4 hours.
My legs hurt like hell. So to those who have done an Ironman, I salute you.
My knee was killing me as well, after one of the hardest climbs I’ve ever done, it was then onto a massie 4 mile descent that was totally amazing. Then at 35 mile it was as my knee popped and had to plod up a log ascent on basically one leg. Very sore now. Soldiered on though and something odd happened. It was like a second wind after this and for about 10 miles to the next checkpoint I was hammering it. Ave 26 mph at this point. Was slightly downhill with a tail wind but I felt brilliant.
You can laugh here, I actually felt as though I was elite ( just a for a few miles) and how good was to be hammering it passing other cyclists and nailing them to a mast….. totally amazing…
I was going to give song and dance about it but the crux was 50 mile turned into 90 mile. Pouring with rain, nasty headwind for the first 30ish miles three killer climbs. Sore legs and then to top it off when I went to check in at the final destintation, couldn't unclip and fell over onto my side….. was a great way to end the day!!!!

I've posted a couple of pics of the views. Totally stunning, if it had been a nice day it would've made such a difference. Some of the climbs were long and slow whereas some were sharp but still equally tough. I had lost focus with winter looming, now I think I'll tackle a few more to help boost the cycling.

Will I do it again…. too right.

Comments

• Sucks going the wrong huh?

My mate did that on a hill race and ended up 10 miles and 2 hills (bout 2000-2500ft each) the wrong way
  • fantastic effort...i once added 10 miles to a ride after getting a little lost...not sure how you added 40miles though...couldn't you just turn round?
  • I can see why you got lost, there's not a road sign in sight! Well done though. IM training I assume.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Kickass S11. Sounds like a beast of a day.

You did make me laugh with the unclipping at the end. Reminded me of my first experience of boxhill. Got to the top, playing it all cool like everyone does at the top, had my cake and we set off with a "heave ho". I clipped in but forgot to pedal, and down I went. Everyone had stopped chewing on their flapjacks and just stared. Theres no quick way to just ride off after that..

At least you fell right at the end, not as you were setting off.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    That looks like a beautiful place to ride - bit nicer than the A409/4 into london
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Yes,

I'm hoping to use this as a base to build on for IM training. Surely I can improve and get some IM mentality into me.

It was a stunning bike ride tbh. had it been a nicer day I'm sure it would be even more stunning. I might go back one day and do it again on my own. Least I'll know the way!!

I couldn't turn back round cause I noticed at 35mile and I would've had some serious climbing to do, and when I realised, I phoned that WAT and told her I'd be late as I was going for it..... and I then I did go for it and when it started raining I was wishing I hadn't went for it.....
  • That looks just beautiful. Which part of the country is that? It sounds like my sort of bike ride, too long, too hilly, fantastic landscape and wild weather. Perfect.

I'm going to give this another go in October. Did it one hot morning in July. Fantastic, but I nearly died.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Your average speed would have been even better if you hadn't stopped to take pictures!
    No wonder they were killer climbs - taking your long lense must have slowed you down.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    pics were taken from my phone.