Home Chat General Chat

Research Study

Dear all,

As part of an upcoming research project, the school of Life Sciences at Kingston University is offering two free exercise tests (assessing VO2max, anaerobic threshold and more) for a study assessing ventilation efficiency in athletes. One test will be conducted on a lab cycle ergometer, with the second (5-7 days later) on a treadmill.

Please contact adrian.haggett@kingston.ac.uk for further details.

The project is based in Kingston Upon thames, Surrey.

Comments

• Probably better posting this under "General", as that's where most people look.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    ... bt it IS the right forum I reckon!

wish i lived near Kingston - I'd bite their arms off for this.

didds
  • It is the right Forum, I just get the feeling that it's not as active as the "General" one. And likewise, if i was local I think I'd take them up on the offer.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    normally I'd say no to a one-off posting.

But hey, life's too short. Was in the wrong forum to get some decent attention so I weilded some green powers and move this from the training forum to the general one.

S11
  • I made contact to Adrian on Friday and have booked in (as i am local and other posts seemed to indicate this was a good thing!) - though i did find myself dreaming last night that i would some how expire in some wired lab experiment?! What have i let myself in for - any ideas?

Martin
  • Cool - I am going to do this too.

Lets see how unfit I really am. LOL
  • It depends on what is happening and what the study is about. For a VO2 max test and AT testing, you will most probably be on an indoor bike with a mask on, to measure your air intake and output. AT testing will involve giving blood samples generally every 4 mins depending on the testing protocol used (nothing major just a little prick, like diabetics do) and for both you will have a HR monitor on.

I'm doing a study with Chester Uni at the moment, and one thing they are looking at is muscle recruitment in running when running off the bike, so one leg I have electrodes on my calf and shin, and motion sensor markers on the other side to look at how gait is affected when running off the bike.