Home Chat General Chat

When to take energy gels?

Got my first OD on Sunday - and was trying to work out a nutrition plan.

Going to be taking a SIS Go gel every 35 mins but when do you reckon i should take the last one?

How long do they take to be absorbed so that i will see any benefit?

Was thinking of taking the last at 35 mins before then end of the 10k?

Cheers,

Will.

Comments

• DanteDante Posts: 22
    Whatever you have been practising in training. You have been practising your nutrition strategy haven't you?

Everyone is different but for OD i usually have three - one 15mins before the off - then two on the bike - one as soon as i get on - and another one after 30 mins. That usually sees me through to the end of the run.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Target time of 2h40m

4.30 Breakfast
    5.30 Nice big coffee
    6.30 1st Gel 1 hr before
    7.10 300ml of Lucozade
    7.30 Race Start
    8.07 Out of T1
    8.15 2nd Gel
    8.50 3rd Gel
    9.20 4th Gel
    9.30 Finish bike
    9.32 Out of T2
    9.50 5th Gel
    10.20 FINISH

As i haven't done the race distance (as one) in practice not sure about the last gel (timing and whether to bother!!).
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    I have worked out I want to take my final gel at the turn point on the first lap of the run. This means it should get through into my system for the last 500m of the run.

Given we are doing the same course here is my strategy based on a target time of 2hr40 also like you.

Gel 20mins before swim start. (This works for me and fits in with the results of the nutrition paper Conehead supplied BCTTT members, (no performance benefit of carbs 30-60mins before start))
    Gel as soon as I can stomach it at top of the big hill on the cycle (just after start of looped bit)
    Gel again at the summit on the second lap
    Gel when finish loop at end of second lap
    Gel at first turn point on run
    I haven't had a chance to pre-ride the course (which i'm really annoyed about).

but looking at the elevation on "mapmyrun" is that hill really as step as it looks.

I had something stupid like 200m elevation in 632m 1:3.

Please tell me my maths are rubbish!
    oh dear

[attachment=0:25qfnjtf]bow-brickhill-738[1].jpg[/attachment:25qfnjtf]
    [attachment=0:1qydhfls]StartofLondonEndLane[1].jpg[/attachment:1qydhfls]
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    worth having a try of different strategies and products in training if you can - i have found that gels and sports drink taken on the bike appear to contribute to stomach pains and cramps while running. not something i can recommend!

that hill looks rough as well! good luck with it.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    I haven't had a chance to ride the course either, but my dad knows the hill from his trips to Woburn golf club and said he doesn't envy me having to cycle up it. My attempt at mapping the course produced a 100m elevation gain in just under 1km with a maximum gradient of 16% . At least the rest of the course appears to be flat
    i think i might need a granny ring!! :roll:
  • And looking at your predicted times with an 0730 race start and a 1020 finish - ( and I am crap at maths) but isn't that 2hr 50mins total race time.

( please feel free to abuse my stupidity - I am hanging after an awful day and I can barely type)
  • I really am no expert, I'm not doing my 1st oly until next week, but do you really need 4/5 gels to get through 2 and a half hours ? i was thinking of one just before the race, but like Ris I find they contribute towards stomach cramps.

Good luck with that hill
  • i can never take them when i run and not within the last 10 minutes of the ride, so i dont get stomach cramps on the run (same with the water bottle!). that hill looks like a beyotch! see how you feel really! you can always have a powershot on the run for that extra boost (or the cheaper jelly baby!). good luck!
    4/5 gels seems loads - but pretty much basing it on Husslers plan - just taking a lot longer and going slower! So extrapolating that....
    willieverfinish wrote:
    And looking at your predicted times with an 0730 race start and a 1020 finish - ( and I am crap at maths) but isn't that 2hr 50mins total race time.

( please feel free to abuse my stupidity - I am hanging after an awful day and I can barely type)
    I really should never have wandered into a career as an accountant
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    willtri wrote:
    oh dear

[attachment=0:1rbkuvbj]bow-brickhill-738[1].jpg[/attachment:1rbkuvbj]

When I was a lad , I used to deliver Hovis up that hill ,it was reet good fun coming down though !!!!
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    Have you tried Carb. drinks like PSP22 ?

This may be an option with only a couple of gels .
    ok - revised timings.

04:30:00 Breakfast
    00:05:30 Nice big coffee
    06:30:00 1st Gel 1 hr before
    07:15:00 300ml of Lucozade
    07:30:00 Race Start
    08:05:00 Out of swim
    08:07:00 Out of T1
    08:15:00 2nd Gel
    08:55:00 3rd Gel
    09:25:00 Finish bike
    09:27:00 Out of T2
    09:37:00 4th Gel
    10:12:00 FINISH
    TOTAL TIME: 02:42:00

Reduced to 4 gels...
  • What time is your 1st coffee ? ? before breakfast ? You won't sleep.

LOL

5 minutes past midnight.

I'd give up and just race mate.

That really has made me laugh
    I don't sleep much before anyway

I'm one of those people who has to have everything planned out and written down - then i can chill!

Looks like it's going to be pissing it down anyway - so everythings going out of the window!!
  • Do your plan of gel every 35 mins, carry one more gel than you think you will need on both bike and run, so if it does take longer than your anticipating you have 2 reserve gels just in case.

Regarding the last gel, just continue to take gels every 35 mins regardless, unless you can see the finishline (ie within 5mins of finishing) just take one anyway, you wont get fat or anything by not utilising it lol.