Home Chat General Chat

Any magic cure for a slightly pulled hamstring??

Hi,

Had a pulled hamstring since last Wed - what have you seen as the best way to cure/speed up recovery.

Ice and stretch,
Ice and don't stretch??!?!?

Anything else?

Cheers,

Will.

Comments

• DanteDante Posts: 22
    Depending on the extent of the damage - it could be worthwhile having a sports massage.

It'll hurt like buggery for a day or two but will definitely speed up recovery.
  • LexLex Posts: 65
    Mate Ive had a nightmare two/three months with hamstrings that is only just getting better now. Listen to your body and do whats right for you but please dont push the stretching too hard - if at all. Dont stretch a cold tendon.

Ice? Is it swollen? If not Ice wont get you very far. Ibuprofen may help though.

Ive been getting acupuncture and eventually its helped.
  • DON'T stretch. If there's any damage stretching will make it worse (potentially pulling damaged fibres apart/ or overstretching ones that have already been overstretched).

DO use ice. While swelling may not be noticeable, particuarly if the damage is deeper, there is every chance there is some inflamation. Ice will recude this and help improve blood flow into the damaged area. I prefer ice baths - they're harsh but at least you're soaking the whole leg, not just an isolated spot.

DO use compression gear. No need for expensive Skins etc. Just get some tubigrip bandages from Boots/ local chemist. Might not be as scientific, or give graduated pressure, but IMHO they work just as well.

I pulled my hamstring 3 days before a standard tri, and by using ice baths a couple of times a day, and wearing compression stuff (tubigrip) I was fit to race (and got a PB).
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Tesseract wrote:
    DON'T stretch. If there's any damage stretching will make it worse (potentially pulling damaged fibres apart/ or overstretching ones that have already been overstretched).

DO use ice. While swelling may not be noticeable, particuarly if the damage is deeper, there is every chance there is some inflamation. Ice will recude this and help improve blood flow into the damaged area. I prefer ice baths - they're harsh but at least you're soaking the whole leg, not just an isolated spot.

DO use compression gear. No need for expensive Skins etc. Just get some tubigrip bandages from Boots/ local chemist. Might not be as scientific, or give graduated pressure, but IMHO they work just as well.

I pulled my hamstring 3 days before a standard tri, and by using ice baths a couple of times a day, and wearing compression stuff (tubigrip) I was fit to race (and got a PB).

Cheers Tesseract - it's a ice bath for me tonight!! 6 days to go until my first od....
  • You're welcome.

I should have said, once the pain is away, or vastly reduced, you can add in some gentle stretching (after a proper warm up). Probably best to stick with static though, and above all else listen to your body.

The best thing we can ever do as athletes is learn the difference between good pain and bad pain.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    and then go and hammer it on race day!!