Home Chat General Chat

Tw*t of the month: James Martin

This doesn't seem to have been posted on here, but tritalk, twitter and wikipedia are all ablaze following this article written by James Martin:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive ... rrari.html

Rather surprising it was even allowed to be published. Brad Wiggins has had some rather amusing things to say about him on his twitter page...

In all seriousness though, it is shocking that he can think that driving like this is amusing and then trying to be like Jeremy Clarkson and attempting to be witty about it, espescially with the number of deaths that have occurred recently due to driving like this.

Rant over

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    aw, diddums, did the nasty mean cyclists hold your fat lazy witless arse up for 20seconds?

i hope he dies of an obesity related complication and i get the chance to cycle loudly past his coffin.
  • Tosser.

I'm never watching Saturday kitchen again. Ever!
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Just read the article on bike radar about this - what an arse
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    I'm with Conehead. I really don't like twattish cyclists of whatever kind giving the rest of us a bad name, running red lights etc.

Tapping on a car window at some lights and giving the driver a load of abuse is definately not on.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    What a knob he is.

CH it is annoying to see people running red lights, riding the wrong way along one way streets etc I don't think that the people he seems to have run off the road were there commuting, they seem to have been out on a training ride minding their own business when he decides that his hatred of cyclists should take the form of scaring the sh*t out of them causing them to go off the road. Whether (some) commuters follow the road rules or not isn't an excuse to do that to an entirely unrelated group of cyclists.

I'll put my soap box away now
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    True some cyclist give us a bad name, and comments about people knocking on your window could be forgiven in the spirit of most articles. There is no excuse however to sneak up on cyclists in a quite car on country roads and then scare them off the road by tooting your horn as you overtake. If it had been a horse which had bolted as a result he would probably be facing charges and there be a huge outcry in the media. But he did it to cyclists so no one seems to care (other than cyclists).
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I always thought it was called ESR (End of Season Rage)?
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    What's this end of season crap? The cross country running season is just getting great! Autumn is perfect for trail runs and 10k's. You can even find them all winter long if you don't mind the dark and cold. I'm excited to bring my times down a lot before I have to start thinking about multisport training again.

And to say something on topic... James Marthin has my full permission run over the people going wrong way down a one way and riding 3 across in a narrow street. But if you're a consciencious rider staying out of the way, what more can you possibly do?
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    I think Conehead's impassioned defence of James Martin can only mean:
    * He gets free energy food off him;
    * He secretly works at Bridgtown Cycles and gives him a good deal.

I agree with the OP: James Martin= tw*t
    we all complain when someone cuts us up or gets too close - and muppets like martin are contributing to the problem of inconsiderate driving toward cyclists. he describes a premeditated action using a vehicle to cause distress to other road users. seeing as it will probably be read by some simpletons as the way to 'deal' with cyclists this will only perpetuate the division between road users and that cars have the major rights.

i'd love to think that martin was being tongue in cheek, and maybe i'm one of the sensitive souls out there who need to htfu about it, but personally i think there are some things that aren't wildly funny - and intimidation of more vulnerable road users is one of them. if we want cars to give us more space and respect then this sort of article needs addressing.

a couple of years ago matthew parris suggested that a good seasonal bit of fun would be to string fishing line across shared cycle paths, and that wasn't funny either.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    No doubt there are some riders with bad attitudes out there but boasting about running anyone off the road is not acceptable.
    i don't see the distinction - for me it's a dislike of people who are inconsiderate to other road users. the critical difference, and perhaps martin's only defence, is if the cyclists he put the frighteners on were acting like inconsiderate wonks. even so i'm not sure i like the way he tackled their actions.

the most useful appropriate thing is that it is the individual that is being ranted at, not all tesla drivers, or all tv chef's. when we tar an entire group (as he has done, and we all do occasionally, as with the dynamo riders) then i think we are doing nothing to help ourselves.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    I see Martin has apologised for his remarks. Still a tw*t.
  • he is diffo a twat in my opinion, no concideration.
    huwd wrote:
    No doubt there are some riders with bad attitudes out there but boasting about running anyone off the road is not acceptable.
    Yeah very true, moaning about cyclists running red lights is all fine but deliberately forcing them into a hedge is not on, clearly.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I am guessing this has been edited, I see no reference to sneaking up on cyclists....but his actions in jest or not do raise an interesting point. As electric vehicles & hybrids become more prevalent how are the more vulnerable road users to be aware of such vehicles approaching? Not just cyclists, but walkers in country areas with no pavement, pedestrians in towns who never see or hear us because they rely on sound rather than looking, they won't hear these vehicles either, people with hearing impairments.....just wondering.
    I reckon there might have to be a fake engine noise built in to electric cars maybe?
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    They must have edited this. He still sounds like a twattish Clarkson wannabe though.

I will say this though. If what he said has offended you - it's your own bloody fault for reading the daily mail. It is their mission to make people angry.
  • Mowf wrote:
    it's your own bloody fault for reading the daily mail
    AKA 'The Daily Hate' or 'Hate Mail'.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    AKA "The Daily Racist"
  • The Daily Mail - Racist so you don't have to be, according to Mock the Week.

Saw an old Have I Got News For You the other day, talking about a Daily Mail headline: While children are being beaten to death, the police can spare 20 officers to raid the House of Commons!

Gotta love the headlines
  • 45CDO45CDO Posts: 44
    Kevin Pietersen injured - Daily Mail headline - "Send work-shy immigrant home"
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    That just about sums it up!!
    While children are being beaten to death, the police can spare 20 officers to raid the House of Commons!
  • A guide to the Daily Mail's everything causes or cures cancer campaign

http://kill-or-cure.heroku.com/a-z/a

I always enjoy Marcus Brigstocke on the subject of the Daily Hate
  • Nice to see that according to the authority that is the Daily Hate both cycling and swimming "prevent" cancer....I can sleep easy now.
    Tune into Jeremy Vine on Radio 2....Radio Daily Mail.......
    Forgot to mention the 'swimming causes asthma' headline.
    really? crap, i've been doing it all these years to try and make my asthma better!

i'll have to take up smoking instead.