Home Chat General Chat

Analysing Results

After a race do you look at your results in terms of your oveall positioning or do you tend to focus on how you did within your age group? Or do you look at them every possible way?

Comments

• 45CDO45CDO Posts: 44
    Vety sad, but every possible way -

Overall placing, placing in T1 / T2/ S / C / R, % from top, % from bottom, top third here, bottom third there, If I could shave of three seconds in X would I have moved up places in Y, Charts, Comparisons with last year etc. etc.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    far too much
    Excel sheets, % decrease - predicted times for next year, next race, etc etc etc...

But for me it's really about overall position - Age postion does cheer you up a bit though!!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Too much to the point where it depresses me, I realised that i was in the bootom x% for swim, bike, run, T1, I seem to be ok in T2! but then i'm back into the bottom x% again... even the age group doesn't manage to cheer me up. Still I haven't been last (yet)
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    In every possible way!

I do particularly like to find whatever aspect of the results flatters my performace the most. You will frequently find me quoting how high up my age-group my bike leg time was - ignoring how far down the list my swim and run might have been
  • Glad to see I'm not the only one picking it apart to find my best possible placing Great fun though, and informative once you break it down.
  • What a relief, I thought I was the only one with obsessive-compulsive behaviour ... hang on, this is a triathlon forum, aren't we all suffering from OCD in some form or another? The world around me just does not understand why I woudl get up at 4.45 in the morning to 'just exercise' .....
  • I do all of the above! But I also try and compare how well I think the race went with how well/badly I've trained for it - I think that in triathlon (especially at the longer distances), probably more than any sport, you most definitely get back what you put in. It is very easy to compare absolute results; time, position etc, but what you don't see is how much more training time the person who finished 5 secs in front of you put in.

So I guess that, for me at least, I don't concern myself with what others do but rather with how well I feel I have performed based on the things within my control - training times, work/life balance/injuries etc.

It is always nice to finish above half way though (not that I do very often!)...

FK
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    My name is Zacnici and I am a Triathlete

I too go over the results - overall rankings - age group - previous results - very sad :roll:
  • quote]Age postion does cheer you up a bit though!![[/quote]

Now i know i'm not the oldest. Genious

If you divide the time you got by the number of lengths it will give you your swim time per length.

So 8.00 (minutes) / 16 (lengths or 400 metres) = 0.50, use this for the first event of the year against the last to see if all that training has paid off.

Same as for bike/run,

Not sure why i'm typing all this as we all seem to do it anyway.
  • [/quote]Not sure why i'm typing all this as we all seem to do it anyway.[/quote]

Sunday was my first race and I've looked at results in terms of how I did in the field. You guys typing all these responses has made me think beyond that to comparing it to expectations, using it as a benchmark for training, measuring progress in the future, extrapolating potential longer race finish times etc.

As always, it's this forum and the people on it bothering to respond to what looks like a straight forward newbie question that has broadened my understanding of Tri
  • I never really look at where I came within my AG. I always analyse my times against athe average of the Top 10, and then express mine as a percentage of theirs. That way it shows which of the disciplines is my strongest, and which is the weakest.

I also break my results down to give me time per 100m for swim bike speed in km.h, and run pace in mins/km. These speeds are then used to give a target time for my next race, which if I better then I know I've improved.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    I never really look at where I came within my AG. I always analyse my times against athe average of the Top 10, and then express mine as a percentage of theirs. That way it shows which of the disciplines is my strongest, and which is the weakest.
    I like that - another one to add to the list!!