Home Chat General Chat

Club Advise

Hi have been convinced into taking up triathlon’s, not against my will, more like a challenge, ok went to Frankfurt Ironman as support and have really gotten the bug and would like advise on weather or not to join a club. At present I go to the gym twice a week swim once and go out on my road bike for between 1-3.5hrs , I have also run 3 10kms this year.

Your input will be appreciated

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    If there is a decent one near you then I would say yes, it can be a great help talking to and training with "like minded individuals" (sounds a bit seedy that!).
  • Hi and welcome to the forum and to triathlon in general.

This is my first season and I've found my local club very helpful and supportive and even extremely patient about waiting or me at the top of all the hills while on weekly bike rides . They've got me involved with social things and taught me a lot about training and racing (as have the lovely people on this forum) and even roped me into a team time trial, where thanks to my efforts I think my team came last but no one seemed to mind too much!

I go to the swim and bike sessions and the open water support was invaluable. I'm not good enough to go to the track sessions yet - and have been resisting pressure to go anyway for a while!

So I guess it depends what your local club is like - mine is great for newbies but I think some other people have found theirs more focussed towards those at the top rather than the bottom of the leader board (hence the start of "the other forum/club" you will see mentioned here sometimes - ah mr CH has got there already ).

Good luck and enjoy,

VAM
  • Cool thanks for the responces, looking forward to next season already will tri my "local" club and find out what they are like, just a bit daunting as I see myself as a bit of a coach potato!!!
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    littlelegs wrote:
    Hi have been convinced into taking up triathlon’s, not against my will, more like a challenge, ok went to Frankfurt Ironman as support and have really gotten the bug and would like advise on weather or not to join a club. At present I go to the gym twice a week swim once and go out on my road bike for between 1-3.5hrs , I have also run 3 10kms this year.

Your input will be appreciated
    See yourself as a couch potato ,looks like you train at least 5 hours a week ?

More than most adults (couch potatoes) do in a month !!!

Anyway don't be daunted ,just sign up for a Tri next year ,this will give you some time to train a bit .

Then just enjoy the achievement when you finish your first race .

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Couch Potato

Crikey - what does that make all the Chav Sky TV hoppers?

Welcome - no turning back now - I wish you evry success, you'll have a blast.
  • Train for 5 hours a week? Swim, cycle and run? Raced 10Ks? Got closely involved with an IronMan?

You are not a coach potato, you are over prepared!

Get a sprint entered now.. there are still a few out there.

Go to www.britishtriathlon.org, search the events. Look for one near you this weekend or next, and see if they have any places.

You will do it easily, and getting a better idea of where you currently are.

That will help you to set goals etc. I assume from your triathlon experiences that you are thinking of "going long". If so, then do not whatever you do read a book called "Triathlon Ruined my life". It will just put you off completely.

If you have time in the evenings to go for training sessions, then look for and join a club. If you've not done open water swimming yet, then it will be a real boon for that, unless you are lucky to be somewhere near the Thames valley and can get to places like liquid leisure.

Alternatively, if you have no time to spare, and you would rather spend your time on Internet Forums, then you would do a lot worse than joining bcttt.com, the worlds first Virtual Tri club. You'll never miss a club training session again!
  • Thanks bullet weekly schedule is 1 hour swim either 2 x 1hr run / static cycle and an 2 x 1 hour weights then anywhere from 1 - 3.5 hour weekend ride. Does any one know of a friendly club in kent from say tonbridge to gravesend area that would go from novice to IM?