Home Chat General Chat

Tour of britain 2009? Anyone watching when it begins.

So tour od france is now a distant memory and the season is quickly coming to an end and the nights are about the start drawing in.
The Tour of Britain will be just the ticket to brigthen up a dull wet evening in.

So will this get grip the nation like the tour does in France?

Well more to the point are any you going to get out and watch a stage? I am lucky as the somerset leg goes past my place of work so a quick trip to the gates to watch the Bridgwater sprint leg will be just the ticket.

www.tourofbritain.co.uk

Comments

• I'll be going to watch the finish in York on Saturday. good to see they remembered that the north exists.
  • jamewahjamewah Posts: 113
    I'm looking forward to it, one of the legs in Hull last year when right past my work on the dual carriageway, U turn at the roundabout 200 metres later then straight back past again, there were loads of people on the walkway watching, including the local primary school making loads of noise - fantastic support !

I'd like the day off this year to try and see them take off and look around the team village
  • Is it gonna be televised? I've got a mate who did stage 5 last weekend (you can sign up and do it for charity, much like the alpe d'huez leg of the TDF) and I would love to see the course he rode....90 miles and apparently VERY hilly. He completed it and promptly burst into tears!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    ITV 4 ST 1 7pm-8pm Sat 12th, St 2 7.30pm-8.30pm Sun 13th, St 3, 4, 7 & 8 7pm-8pm, St 5 8pm-9pm Wed 16th, St 6 10.30-11.30pm Thurs 17th. So it says in the press, but I would still check in case it has changed.
    First year since it started again I will not see a stage...first aid course I cannot get out of to trolley up to Stoke, ho hum.
  • Hope to get to see the finish tomorrow in Newcastle - doing the Newbiggin tri just up the road on the morning so might as well stop on the way home. Good to see it's getting daily TV coverage as this years' field looks the best yet!!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    It looks like ITV 4 have got good coverage. it was a show worth watching just like the tdf!
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    I'm going to pop down and watch the london stage at the weekend - looking forward to it
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I am tempted to go to the London stage, but i amagine it will be a touch boring for the riders, being laps of a quite short circuit in central london. I'm with you CH the roads are terrible - i ride lots of the roads the London stage is on as part of my commute etc and they are not nice at all.
  • You Mean like the last day of the tour de france?
    (riding short laps around paris)
    im going to london, good chance to congratulate bradley and all the tour de france riders and to wish the world champ boys the best!
  • Sadly no Bradley Wiggins at the Last stage, he pulled out today to concentrate on the world champs
    So!!!!
    I watched the end of the Bridgwater Sprint today and I was stood on the finish line. I cant believe how fast those boys were going.
    The pelaton (spelling?) Whent by in the blink of and eye and that was it!!!!

The atmosphere was good though.
    If you watch it on TV I am the guy all in black with sunglasses on by the railings on the right hand side.

Whar an event. over to quick but a good thing me thinks!
    So I watched it telly last night (late cos the footy was on) There I was on national telly for the first time ever.

Did anyone else see it. it was great to actually see the race and the speeds.
  • missed you on the telly baz but its still on the sky+ so i'll have another look tonight

i'm going down to huish park to see the stage finish in yeovil this afternoon.

looking forward to Russel Downing pushing himself hard to get up in the GC, if he can make a break today he could even end up in yellow

it'd be a good follow on from ireland if he could, and a good basis to start his sky career
  • Yep, watched it last night and really enjoyed seeing racing on British roads. Even the GAT officer was interested after having watched the Tour for the first time this year.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    I was pleased to see the spectator numbers on the tv coverage - the commentary didn't really cut it for me though
  • Yeh sign up David Duffield - the undisputed king of cycle commentating.
    I managed to make the stage finish at Newcastle/Gateshaed (as they called it) - I too was amazed at the speed - it was like a tube train the way the air was pushed out of the way - I was stood @ 1km form the finish just on a slight down hill - I suspect they must have been travelling at 40-45mph. I only get to those speeds off a cliff